My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Can I stroke your horse?

14 replies

Weezol · 29/06/2018 14:12

I would like to try riding - it's very likely to be good for my disability and mental health. No ambition for greatness, just a weekly thing.

I was severely allergic to all animal hair/dander as a child. Outgrew everything by 12 and own pets myself. The only allergy I haven't tested is horses.

The simplest test would be for me to stroke a horse for and then rub my eyes. However, living in a city centre, I never meet riders day to, but do see riders regularly where my parents are and at a pinch could approach the hunt.

What is the etiquette in approaching a rider? Is it weird or ok? Obviously I'd seek permission and accept refusal!

OP posts:
FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast · 29/06/2018 14:15

which city is it?

there are usually a few horses knocking about the city. For example in London there is Vauxhall City Farm, among others. I am sure you could have a sneaky neck rub.

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast · 29/06/2018 14:16

Perhaps you have somewhere in mind to start riding? you could go there to have a look round?

frasier · 29/06/2018 14:17

Are you near Richmond Park, London? Stag Lodge would let you go and stroke a pony I’m sure. They are a great place to learn also. Look at their website, they’re not open every day.

CherryNib · 29/06/2018 14:20

I wouldn't suggest approaching a rider (unless it's a police horse!).
Why don't you go to a stable local to you where the horses will be in their boxes or in a corral?

TigerDroveAgain · 29/06/2018 14:23

If it cheers you up I used to wheeze around horses as a child, now have cats to which I’m sensitised, although my mum’s —badtempered— cat makes me sneeze a bit. Anyway, I did a horse related activity (meditation) the other day and forgot about the allergy until a few days later. It was completely fine!

iveburntthetoast · 29/06/2018 15:49

I'd agree with others to find out which riding school you would like to learn at, and then ask if you can have a quick look around. The riding schools I've used before would have been perfectly happy to do so and discuss classes etc without any commitment from you.

iveburntthetoast · 29/06/2018 15:51

I think I would have found it a bit weird if someone approached me while riding.

Another option is to see if there's a horse rescue centre nearby that you can visit and pat a few horses.

Thundersky · 29/06/2018 17:36

Whereabouts are you? I'm happy for you to come see mine to see if you are still allergic! PM if you wish Smile

EmmaC78 · 29/06/2018 17:40

If you say roughly where you are someone on here may be able to help. If you are near me you can come and meet one of mine Smile

DiseasesOfTheSheep · 29/06/2018 19:37

I'm often stopped on hacks so someone can say hello to my horse, and they often stroke them - I'm not bothered at all, quite happy for people to say hi... Provided the horse isn't being a total wally that day, of course!

Retrainingaracehorse · 29/06/2018 21:51

Id happily let someone stroke mine if I met someone whilst out riding. He's very gentle and adores having his head stroked, although I doubt I'm any use to you OP as I'm rural. But I would suggest you don't approach any old horse as horses as generally horses are not affectionate unlike dogs and dont usually seek out being stroked (especially from strangers) but see if you can visit a riding stables and explain the situation and stroke one of theirs.

Knittedfairies · 29/06/2018 21:54

If you’re thinking of riding lessons, why don’t you just rock up to the stables you were thinking of going to, and explain the situation?

Weezol · 29/06/2018 22:23

My title was meant to be humourous [oops blush], I would never just randomly approach a working horse, rider in motion or a loose horse or any animal for that matter.

I was thinking more of if I saw a couple of riders stopped on a bridleway. I could have explained that better, sorry.

Given the advice, I think I'll set up a visit at a stable local to my folks when I'm next up.

Thank you for your help.

OP posts:
LadyLance · 02/07/2018 14:12

I agree, any riding stables that you're interested in as a prospective customer should be happy for you to come and have a look around, and have a stroke. Have you got an RDA center you could access?

Personally, I wouldn't approach riders who have stopped, unless they are obviously enjoying a picnic or something. The riders may have stopped because they've had an issue/problem and it may not be the best time to approach them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.