Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Horse costs

WeddingSmedding · 14/05/2017 15:34

I'm seriously considering buying a horse. Had one as a kid and started riding again a few years ago. DD rides and it would be primarily for her but I'd want to ride it too. This does mean erring on the bigger side as I'm tall but she rides bigger horses in her lessons. We had a loan horse until recently too.

Anyway, due to work etc it'd have to be on full livery which is around £75 a week here including bedding and hay. Other than insurance, farrier, vet, feed etc am I forgetting any costs?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Butkin1 · 17/05/2017 12:48

When you say full livery for these amazing prices how many times a week do they ride your horse/Pony? On hacks or in school?

Please
or

iveburntthetoast · 17/05/2017 13:10

They don't exercise horses--at least not the 5 livery yards I've looked at. They feed/turnout/muck out each day.

I'm guessing this is just a regional diffenece. I'm in NE Scotland. The most I've seen for full livery is £100 per week, which had top notch facilitators. Around £80 PW seems the norm.

Please
or

iveburntthetoast · 17/05/2017 13:11

facilities

Please
or

Floralnomad · 17/05/2017 13:21

We don't get exercise included for what we pay , I'd expect to pay £150+ a week to get that , doesn't matter to us as pony is retired , all we want is a high standard of personal care which is what she gets .

Please
or

WeddingSmedding · 17/05/2017 16:33

I don't count exercise in full livery, up here that'd be working livery. Down South a working livery was a horse used by a riding school though!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Floralnomad · 17/05/2017 16:39

Working livery is where your horse is used in a riding school , we've used full livery places before that included exercise and the horses were only ridden by staff , not amateurs .

Please
or

WeddingSmedding · 17/05/2017 19:54

Might be where you are, but in my neck of the woods there's a posh livery place offering 'working' livery for £140 a week ie full livery plus them exercising it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Polkadotties · 19/05/2017 10:18

Where I am, Essex, working livery is where the horse is used in a riding school.
Schooling livery is where the horse is ridden by a trainer.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?