Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Discarded horse's hoof

Tate15 · 05/02/2016 13:20

Although I grew up riding, I only recall the farrier paring off small strips of hoof.

On my dog walk today I found this.

There are some Shetland ponies not far but this hoof is much bigger and their hooves are in perfect, tiny condition.

I am concerned some cruelty has taken place.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tate15 · 05/02/2016 13:21

Sorry, it won't let me post pics!

It's the whole hoof.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OurBlanche · 05/02/2016 13:24

Doesn't that happen with some diseases/conditions, like laminitis. I think it is called Hoof Slough, they literally slough off the hoof, it can have a few causes, none of which are good.

So maybe not violent cruelty, but there is probably a horse nearby in need of treatment, or in the middle of treatment.

Could you post a notice anywhere, to alert any possible owners?

Please
or

Tate15 · 05/02/2016 17:46

The RSPCA said to phone th council. The council were very nice but cannot get involved unless, wait for it, there was a leg still attached to it!

So I'm stuck with a hoof! It was not on the path on the way there but in the middle of the path on the way home. I've never used that path before as on foot but usually drive to the other side where there are Shetland ponies. It's a bit like Cinderella as this hoof would be far too big for them and all of their hooves are in tip top condition!

I will try and get photos up.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tate15 · 06/02/2016 10:10

Photos.

Discarded horse's hoof
OP's posts:
Please
or

Tate15 · 06/02/2016 10:10

It will only let me upload one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Palomb · 06/02/2016 10:16

Maybe a dogs chew?

Please
or

Gabilan · 06/02/2016 10:39

No blood on it. Tbh I think that came off a dead horse. Grim though.

Please
or

Tate15 · 06/02/2016 18:02

Not a dog chew as I have dogs and the only hooves I've seen to buy are not horses ones!

It hasn't been chewed by any animal, domestic or wild. It looked like it had just fallen or had dropped there as it was not covered in mud or wet from rain.

I've written to a local horse rescue on Facebook who are in the area. They campaign to help tethered horses.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.