Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Horse retirement

Maplestirrup · 07/05/2015 19:04

Has anybody got any first hand experience of sending your horse to a retirement home? Any recommendations of retirement livery would be welcome. All tales and experiences, good or bad, welcome as I need to consider all views that I have not even thought about. This is a big decision for me, so I need to get it right.
24/7 turnout with field shelters, hay, feed, 2 daily checks, rug changing, feet trimming would be ideal.
Sadly DH can't stay with me and I need to find a suitable retirement home.
Thanks in advance.

OP's posts:
Please
or

snowpo · 07/05/2015 22:45

I sent my gelding to Monshall Retirement in Devon. He had damaged his tendon and I had just had DD & could not cope with doing the box rest so I needed grass livery. I couldn't find anything suitable for a reasonable price in my area (Surrey) so I sent him down to Devon.
He was supposed to come back after a year but he's still there 4yrs on and he's so happy I'd feel guilty bringing him back.
They go out in massive fields with well chosen fieldmates. Mine doesn't have a rug but he is a fatty. Others do have rugs on. They get haylage in the winter, feet sorted and visited at least 2x a day. I don't think they have field shelters but there is loads of natural shelter.
There is a facebook page and Nat posts loads of pics so you can see. There are a few others in Devon/Cornwall and also in Wales.
I guess you need to think about how often you want to visit and how far you would travel. Monshall have horses from all over the country and I think she has a caravan you can stay in for visits.

Please
or

Maplestirrup · 10/05/2015 17:57

Thanks for that. Monshall is about 5 hours from me, and I would like to beable to visit quite regularly, so something closer would be great. Can I ask how often you visit your retired chap? Are you close is just to the home?

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.