My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

DIY and a newborn?

13 replies

HippyStar · 30/03/2015 12:01

I have just changed from full livery to DIY in preparation for statutory maternity pay. Lately I keep reading articles which state when you have a new born if you manage to get dressed it's a good day let alone managing to leave the house. I'm going to have to go to the yard twice a day so am now panicking slightly. this is my first baby so have no idea what to expect but I was wondering if anyone else has managed this and if so do you have any helpful tips? Thank you xx

OP posts:
Asteria · 30/03/2015 13:00

I had two horses at home when I had DS - they were quite low maintenance but I still managed to get out to them. It really depends on how you adapt to parenting. Some people are completely overwhelmed and others seem to just take it in their stride. DS was an autumn baby so I used to feed him and then bundle him up for his post-breakfast nap in a pram lined with sheepskin, so he was lovely and warm. He usually slept for long enough to muck out and feed, but I would often be found with my boobs out in the barn giving him a top-up! If I needed to exercise the horses then I just parked him in the middle of the ménage and went around him! Babies are very adaptable and will usually fit a routine that works for you. For the first few months they mostly sleep and eat!
I have photographs of DS crawling around the stable yard with hound puppies, covered in mud and looking very happy!

Bonkey · 30/03/2015 13:25

I managed with a pony.

I had a week off , someone reliable looked after him (the pony) and then I ws back to walking down twice a day - baby in sling or left in stable in pram and carried on. Feed down there if I needed too.

I couldn't wait to try and get back into a routine of going outside.

Might take some getting used to but once you suss it it will work!

Once they get to crawling age then let them free (safely) I also have pictures of ds filty and crawling through the mud - but he's happy and despite eating poo (sheep, horse and rabbit) and animal feed was never ill Wink

fuctifino · 30/03/2015 13:31

Come rain, shine, illness or whatever, you know your horse needs seeing to.
Yes, some mother's may have physical problems that mean they can't get out but if you know you have to, you just do it.
Things may take you longer and the riding side might slip but you just have to accept that things have changed. I used to stress about not riding but really my horse at the time couldn't give two hoots, I just had to get round to his way of thinking!
Personally, I found it trickier when baby became a toddler.

HippyStar · 30/03/2015 13:33

Thanks you two good to hear it can be done. I guess if there's a will there's a way but all these articles have put the fear of God into me that I will just dissolve into a hermit like couch potato. I think raising kids outside with horses is great for them too and it sounds like your children agreed! Xx

OP posts:
Bonkey · 30/03/2015 13:37

It gets harder when they get older but at the same time its easier to fit things in because of nursery/school/what not.

Just common sense obviously around the horses with a baby but you just get on with it. Life doesn't stop when you have a baby - you might need a few weeks to get used to motherhood and recover so make sure your horse is sorted but after that you will be itching to get out the house!

My baby is now 7yo and he comes with me quite often to fuss the ponies. If he doens't want to then he sits in the stable or barn with his ds while I crack on .

good luck!

Comingoutofhibernation · 30/03/2015 15:45

I didn't find it too bad when DS was a tiny baby, but then the horse I had at the time was living out, so it was just a case of going down to check and feed her. DS would either come with me, and be left somewhere I could keep an eye on him in his car seat, or stay at home with DH. I think having a supportive partner helps.

For me it became an awful lot harder when I went back to work, but if you can then do full livery again, that won't be such an issue. I ended up giving up within a few months of going back to work, and only got another horse when DS got his free hours at preschool.

mrslaughan · 30/03/2015 16:47

I really think it depends on your child as well - most babies you can make it work, and actually it will be good for you to get out and do something. However some babies are not easy....my cousin has just had her third, first two were "easy". the third one however is not easy, and she is really really struggling. She hasn't done anything differently it is just the way it is.

I would not panic, but have a contingency plan....know what you are going to do if you end up have a c-section, a bad tear, or a difficult labour that leaves you exhausted.

kiwiquest · 30/03/2015 20:44

Second what mrslaughan says, I was stuck in hospital for a week with DD, when we left my mobility was still restricted a short walk turned my legs to jelly. My episotimy stitches also took ages to heal there is no way I could have sat on a horse for first 6 weeks.

feezap · 31/03/2015 07:35

I third Mrslaughan. If you end up having a c section you will not be allowed to lift much or drive for 6 weeks. Or a bad tear could make it very painful to move about. I, unfortunately, had a less easy baby, he was pretty much Velcro for the first four months and I could not put him down, the only saving grace was the sling. Fortunately I have a low maintenance pony who lives out 247 and friends who I share duties with who helped a lot in the first few weeks. Even now at 7 months DS would not just sit in his pram while I schooled around him or mucked out, he's a tonne easier now but just not that kind of baby. I also don't have anywhere safe to leave him at the farm while I catch the pony. He does love going there though and seeing the ponies, I can check them, do the hay, feed with him with me, just not ride but my parents have him for that.

I'd say have a backup plan or something in place for the first 6 weeks, just in case. During that time you'll be able to work it out if you need to.

And enjoy your new baby Smile

backinthebox · 31/03/2015 11:09

Definitely have a back up plan for 6 weeks. I actually opted for DIY early in the first pregnancy and switched to full livery at about 7 months. Lucky that I did, as I had an emergency c section that had complications and couldn't do anything for weeks. After about 6 weeks both times though I was back mucking out daily and riding.

Some women are lucky and will tell you they paused for 10 minutes to pop a baby out then got back to the mucking out. But I think it is much better to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Sierraspider · 31/03/2015 17:52

Having had an awful tear (4th degree, over 300 stitches in that entire area) I had no choice but to put my girl on loan for 6 months. I was absolutely gutted and like you, while pregnant was asking if people thought DIY was possible with a newborn. Unfortunately I had a crappy forceps birth resulting in a nasty 4th degree tear which meant I couldn't even look after my baby by myself let alone my mare :'-( - however 3.5 years on and I'm all good (well as good as I'll ever be now lol). My advice to you would be have a back up plan if things end up not going the way you planned during labour. I didn't have a back up plan but very lucky for me a lovely horsey friend who found my horse a loan home for 6 months while I recovered.

Good luck xx

Sychnant · 31/03/2015 20:14

I had 3 on DIY. I mucked out the day before I had DS, ended up having a CSec. I had cover for 4 days and by the 5th was back mucking out all 3 (carefully!!!) while DS slept in his car seat. Not easy, but completely possible :)

backinthebox · 03/04/2015 21:22

Good job you weren't still in hospital on day 5 then, eh Sychnant? Everyone is different, but I think booking in a bit of help for a couple of weeks, even if you just get friends to cover for you on a helper rota, is a much cleverer idea than hoping you don't have an unexpected complication!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.