My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

How much would you pay for this?

5 replies

curlew · 14/08/2013 09:48

Dd's pony is at a DIY yard. We were away last week, and the owner's daughter looked after her. She lives out. Every evening the girl made up a feed, took pony out of the field (she's the only one in the field who gets a feed) and waited while she ate it (about 20 minutes- she's a slow eater) then put her back.

I said I'd pay but like an idiot, didn't make a proper arrangement, I've just texted her mum to ask how much I should give her and she has helpfully replied "whatever you think". And I have no idea at all. What do you think?

OP posts:
50BalesOfHay · 14/08/2013 10:50

I pay yard owner £60 a month to turn out, change rugs, feed in morning and muck out (very cheap yard). I'd give her £10 for feeding and checking a live out for a week.

curlew · 14/08/2013 11:00

Ok- so £20 would be generous but not outrageous? I know they don't have very much money, so I don't mind overpaying a bit because the girl is going on holiday.

OP posts:
50BalesOfHay · 14/08/2013 11:08

I think £20 is generous but not excessive

curlew · 14/08/2013 11:09

Cool. Thanks all.

OP posts:
needastrongone · 15/08/2013 13:46

We are going away for two weeks soon. I am paying our friends daughter £25 per week to keep an eye on our pony (who is out at the moment and not fed), ride him 2/3 times a week to keep him ticking over (he's fit as a fiddle at the moment, having just done PC camp last week and being used to being ridden pretty much daily in some capacity, so I don't want to reduce the workload to zero just like that!).

In addition, she will fly rug him if required or use Coopers if she feels more appropriate (he's not overly bothered by flies and the location of the field is good too in that respect) and put some hoof treatment on his feet once or twice a week.

That's it really! Her house overlooks the field he lives in so, to be honest, I feel I am being a touch generous, given she loves to ride but hasn't got a pony of her own, but it covers all my bases.

For an extra fiver, she watering my pots Smile

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.