Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Show advice - it's been years..

DevastatedD0G · 13/08/2013 19:11

Thinking of taking d cob to a small local show on Sunday. Just to do tack and turn out and the clear round. Mostly to see if he's gotten a bit better at standing around rather than going vertical he is mw Irish coloured cob and has just been hogged. So basically do I plait his tail for T&T? I will trim his beard Grin but his feathers are ok aren't they? Also I have a new navy show jacket and a white shirt but its collar less am I allowed to wear a stock? Or do I need to get a shirt and a tie? I have black boots and a black hat, should I try and get a navy hat silk? Do I need a posh whip? Hair nets and button holes? I don't have a fancy brow band either is just plain. I don't expect to win but don't want to be laughed at especially if he is up to his old up in the air tricks Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

Butkin · 14/08/2013 05:23

I'm not really sure how to advise as we hate tack and turn out - a complete minefield and so subjective according to whim of judge. I'm also a bit confused because you mention you've hogged him but left his feathers on so you maybe need to talk to a coloured expert rather than a cob person to see what is appropriate.

However I did used to show a hw cob to a high level (Hoys etc) so I do know about them so I'll explain what I did with him.

We hogged him, trimmed off all his feather, coronet hair etc. Trimmed all his excess whiskers off and made sure his throat was nice and clear as well.

We didn't plait his tail but pulled it so it sat between his cheeks at the top and was banged so it sat around his hocks when he carried it.

He wore plain brown leather double bridle with thick noseband and plain browband - workmanlike. His Saddle was a comfortable brown leather one - more GP than show - and he had a discreet brown numnah you couldn't see under his saddle.

I wore a brownish tweed jacket, cream shirt, red and cream spotted tie, Yellowish/buff coloured jods, black leather boots and I wore spurs (not compulsory).

I carried a show cane - rather than a whip - and wore a bowler although a blue velvet show cap was used when bowlers weren't allowed.

You should wear a hair net but not a button hole.

As I say not sure exactly what people wear for showing coloureds - as opposed to cobs - but I don't think blue.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes - most important thing is to have fun!

PS in showing cobs there are only lw and hw classes - no mw like in hunters.

Please
or

DevastatedD0G · 14/08/2013 09:42

Do you think I should trim his feathers right off as well? I have done before but with clippers and it was a major thing because he's quite scared. i could scossor cut them off. i hogged him because his mane is so wiry that it just looked silly.

So is it more traditional to wear tweed on a coloured? Will I be laughed at in navy? It is only a small show and only for the experience of him hopefully standing still.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DevastatedD0G · 14/08/2013 09:50

Shit yes it is tweed! Gah going to have to beg borrow or steal to get a tweed jacket now!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.