Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Book recommendations?

hatcam · 17/06/2013 15:40

I've come back to riding recently, after more than 20 years (gulp) out of the saddle. Am trying to get up to speed as much as I can (so much to learn) - I hack out regularly, have regular lessons, help a friend with her horses and am just about to embark on a loan from my riding school.

I know books don't have all the answers but I wondered if anyone can recommend any general horse knowledge books? Not specifically schooling, rider training nor horse care - more a bit of everything?

Ps thanks to all mnetters who gave me kind words earlier this year when I broke my leg. I learnt a lot from that little escapade and while I'm sure I'll fall off again hopefully I won't make the same mistakes. Strangely the fall has been good for my confidence!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Littlebigbum · 17/06/2013 19:07

Kelly marks

Please
or

SimLondon · 17/06/2013 19:52

Real riding

Please
or

dappleton · 18/06/2013 10:17

The Pony Club Manual or any BHS publication. You'll find that in general, apart from health and safety considerations, horse riding has not changed in 20yrs - horse care has changed considerably. The BHS run a horse owners certificate which is a really good way of getting up to speed with current thinking on things like feeding, bedding, equine first aid.

Please
or

umbrunion · 18/06/2013 13:55

The most useful book I've read in the last couple of years is without doubt the pony club manual. Read it while testing dds for their C and D tests - very interesting.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.