Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

how do you manage horse(s) and kid(s)

ponytails · 29/08/2012 15:40

firstly let me introduce myself as im new to here, i have 2 DS and own a 15.1hh gelding and a 13.2hh mare.
my DS2 is only 3.5 months old and im finding it hard to juggle everything
how does everyone else cope?

OP's posts:
Please
or

mrsdizzymam · 29/08/2012 16:16

Tell me about it! I have 2 DS, DS2 has CP whos 3. I have a 16.2hh mare, unfortunetly she is forsale or loan as I have lack of time and has started to throw me off (just fresh!)i now have a retired eventer on loan to keep my sanity ticking over. You do find time, just hard when a new arrival happens, just lucky its been over summer with no extra winter chourse to do! Think it's called time managment lol but I have none of that! good luck! i think its worth it

Please
or

bonzo77 · 29/08/2012 16:35

livery? Sharer(s)? Childcare? Compromise and feeling torn which is often what parenthood is about!

Please
or

cazboldy · 29/08/2012 17:45

I have 5 dc, 1 shetlan, 1 welshie and a idx

it is hard - but I am lucky..... i don't work, and dh is home for lunch everyday, so dc come with me to do poo picking/mucking out and care for the horses, and I either ride while dh is home/after tea or on the field while they play footy or something

i spend half of my life running around for them, so an hour or 2 in return is not imo too much to ask (although my mother practically thinks I abuse them! Grin)

since they have had to do it from about 3 days old they don't know any differentn anyway! Smile

oh and my horses are much less spooky, since they have to deal with kites, footballs, bikes,umbrellas etc Grin

win, win

Please
or

mrsdizzymam · 30/08/2012 08:01

Nice one cazboldy lol, luv the mother comment, mine is simular, wondring why I waste my time with horses, erm maybe because she paid for riding lessons for years from the age of 6 and paid for me to go thru my BHS exams??? lol hyppocrit mine is!

Please
or

dappleton · 30/08/2012 10:00

Get a Nanny Wink .... don't think i'd cope without - but then again my horses are also my job so I suppose it is justified, but i'm not sure how i'd do both without some type of childcare.

Please
or

N0tinmylife · 30/08/2012 12:06

To be honest I didn't cope with both when DS was small. I had to give up my loan horse when I went back to work after maternity leave. I have just got another one now DS is off to school. That said it was work, on top of child and horse that finished me off. If you don't work it should be do able with a lot of juggling, and a supportive partner. Have you considered getting someone in to share one or both horses? I hope you do manage to sort something, I really missed it!!

Please
or

ponytails · 30/08/2012 20:37

thanks for the replys, ive tried getting a sharer but ive had no interest from my ads.
my DH hates the horses (thinks they eat money and are pointless) but lets me go see to them once a week.
childcare is difficult as it costs so much for 2. im hoping it will get easier when DS1 starts school

OP's posts:
Please
or

Booboostoo · 30/08/2012 22:02

I have 1 DC and 4 horses (two competition horses, one hacking horse and a mini), all at home. Luckily they can all live out all year round (we live in the south of France and it makes a huge difference) but I still need help. I have a great groom who is also happy to look after DD, so between us we sort out the horses, dogs and DD! Even so I used to ride two horses 5-6 times a week each and now I manage just about 2-3 rides each purely because I am really tired and there aren't enough hours in the day!

Please
or

Treblesallround · 31/08/2012 08:40

Get a new DH who loves horses, ponytails Grin

Please
or

ponytails · 31/08/2012 19:11

lol Treblesallround im liking that idea Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.