Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

12.2 or 13.2 for a 9 year old ???

Eviepeevy · 26/08/2012 12:08

Please help me with my dilemma !!! My daughter who was 9 in June currently has a 12hh pony which although she hasn't outgrown sizewise, she has in ability. We have been looking for ages for a new pony and have just had a 13.2 come to us on a trial . He looks HUGE and my daughter looks on a dot on him. My husband will freak when he sees her on him. She tried him 3 times before he came, and away from our own environment loked fine on him, but at ours looks completely over ponied . He has a lovely temperment, but is 16 so will be 18 by the time she has 'grown into him'. To throw a spanner in the works, my friend is now selling a lovely 12.2 which, although not much bigger than our present pony, is much more forward going and can jump much bigger. And is half the price of the 13.2 !!!! The 12.2 is a Welsh Section B so quite fine, the 13.2 is a complete chunk (and stands much bigger than my friend's daughter's 13.2 (and not much smaller than a 14.2 on our yard) Any advice please !! xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Butkin · 26/08/2012 17:28

Our DD was 9 on 28th February so a little bit older that yours but roughily the same. You'll see her ponies by clicking on my profile (both taken earlier this Summer). The 4yo grey is 12hh and is now off the lead rein as a SHP. The Palomino is 12.1 and does M&M First Riddens.

We're currently looking for her next pony and are trying to work out between 12.2 show pony or 13h SHP. Either way we've probably decided to wait until next year as she'll be riding her two currently ponies next season - the Grey will be doing 122 opens when the children are bigger and older anyway.

I'd say the 12.2 sounds ideal but I know we're a bit conservative in terms of pony sizes.

Please
or

AmINearlyThereYet · 26/08/2012 17:40

Depends what she likes doing. If gymkhana games etc, def go for 12.2 - much easier for vaulting on & off. If hunting, 13.2 might be better - can carry her across unfamiliar country more safely. But I'd try to ignore the size and choose the best one for her. Being a bit too big or too small doesn't matter nearly as much as temperament, abilities etc.

If totally undecided - and don't want to wait for something better than either - then toss a coin. You'll discover what you really want when it is in the air. Grin

Please
or

marialuisa · 26/08/2012 21:25

DD is 11.5 years, tall and skinny and has just come off a fine 12.2hh section B. He was forward going with a big jump and she still hadn't outgrown him ability wise. She has now gone onto a stockier 13hh section B. We found that the sort of 13.2hh we would be happy to send her into the show ring or out hunting on wasn't really capable enough for her IYSWIM, so have accepted that we may only get 2 years out of the new pony.

Please
or

gordyslovesheep · 26/08/2012 21:43

My 9, almost 10 rides a 12.2 cob who fits her nicely - her mini 8 year old sister manages him okay as well

Please
or

Eviepeevy · 26/08/2012 21:45

She had a ride on both ponies today. The 13.2 is a gentle giant and was as good as gold, the 12.2 a bit spooky but lovely. Stll in two minds as my daughter is smitten with the bigger pony. Sound like most people prefer for their children to stay on smaller ponies , but not sure what I would say to his owner. xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

marialuisa · 27/08/2012 06:51

What does your DD want to do with him? If my DD hadn't wanted to show at a high level and had been planning on doing a bit of Pony Club and riding club I would have got her a bigger pony.

Butkin-I know of a vey nice 12.2 show pony that's going to be up for sale, was with Julie T until April.

Please
or

Eviepeevy · 27/08/2012 08:09

She is pretty much going to do Pony Club / local shows, primarily jumping & XC. I have her instructor coming down on Wednesday to give her lessons on both ponies. Hopefully she will give me some advice. xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

frostyfingers · 27/08/2012 12:08

Better underhorsed than over in my experience. I moved from a 12.2 to a fabulous 13.2 (TBxArab) which was fine on trial and then proceeded to terrify me by bolting. It was moved on v quickly and I was given a wonderful plod of a cob who got me back in my comfort zone. If you're not sure that she's ok on a 13.2 I wouldn't take it - if it decides to mess around in the field or stable it's a lot of pony to handle (I'm not saying it has bad manners or anything, just that if it has a fright or something it may be too much for her).

Confidence is a precious thing and it's easy for it to go out of the window.....(or off the pony!)

Please
or

dappleton · 27/08/2012 13:03

I think it depends more on the ponies suitability for your daughter, not just it's size. It sounds to me as though you'd be happier with her on the 12.2hh and would not have even taken the 13.2hh pony on trial if you had known about the 12.2hh pony first. I hope the instructor helps you make the final decision. Good luck.

Please
or

Eviepeevy · 27/08/2012 19:03

I think that you have hit the nail on the head Dappleton, I would have snapped the 12.2 up if I hadn't already agreed to have the 13.2 on trial. Everybody also keeps telling me how overpriced he is , and it is a buyer's market. Think will see how the next week goes and will feel better once decisions made. xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Treblesallround · 27/08/2012 19:12

Depends on how well built the pony and child are. GD got her first pony at nearly 9 years old but she's tall and skinny. He's 13.3 hh, but very finely built and very much a confidence giving schoolmaster (coming up for 20 soon, but went to a show on Sunday and jumped double clear in every class. He was an angel!). He's now on loan to an 11 year old who will probably outgrow him next year, and GD went onto a 14.2 after him. I think it just depends on the pony's temperament and what your dd wants to do

Please
or

Butkin · 27/08/2012 19:32

Thanks Marialuisa - please let me know any details. 12hh SHP is coming back from producers on Wednesday but we'll send him straight to another local producer just to keep him ticking over and we'll take him to two smaller BSPS local shows just so DD can ride her every day and practise before he gets 6 weeks off.

We'll probably take Palomino to the Heritage just for the fun of going but without expectations.

We'd like DD to have a 13hh SHP (and have just turned down one that has qualifed for HOYS) but DD loves concept of riding a SP and we're probably thinking she deserves her chance on one and would, of course, be a 12.2

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.