My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Dpony going on LWVTB......advice please.

8 replies

elephantpoo · 29/07/2012 08:46

A couple of months ago I made the sad decision to sell Dpony, as DD doesn't have any real passion for riding Sad
Anyway, after a couple of unsuitable people coming to see him (child too small / inexperienced etc) I have finally found the ideal family for him.
He will be going as a share for an 8 yo and an 11 yo. 8yo is a very confident rider and loved him. 11 yo is slightly more nervous (feels slightly over-horsed by current pony, and lacks confidence) and doesn't feel able to trust Dpony in canter. Dpony is not silly and she has no reason to worry, but I can understand why she feels like this......trust takes time.
We have agreed on a 4 week trial, so 11 yo can really get to know Dpony and start to build a bond with him and have a couple of lessons on him.
I'VE NEVER SOLD A PONY BEFORE, SO THIS IS ALL NEW...........what do I need to do?????
I am planning to print off a 4 week "loan" contract and write in that at the end they either bring him back or pay me the asking price. Should I take a deposit? They live about 2 hours away. I feel I should go and see where he's going to be living.......is that advisable? When he goes, do I give them his passport / give them a copy?
PLEASE HELP IF THERE'S ANYTHING I HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF!!!! Smile

OP posts:
Amieesmum · 29/07/2012 15:16

Yes - print a contract, I'd keep hold of the passport (even though really you're not meant to) If it would put your mind at rest go see where they want to keep him - stipulate in the contract any feeds, medications, farrier visits due etc so if dp does come back to you, he's been kept in the same routine.
Take a deposit before he goes, and obviously sign to say you've recieved it etc etc .

marialuisa · 29/07/2012 18:24

Definitely take a deposit and get them to have the vetting done before they take him so they can't quibble if anything goes wrong whilst he's with them.

We've just sold dpony and I am slightly weirded out that they have almost paid in full but are not taking him for another 3 weeks and want us to "use him as normal". Selling ponies isn't always as straighforward as it used to be.

elephantpoo · 29/07/2012 18:33

Thank you both Smile
I will make sure we sign for the deposit.
How much deposit should we ask for?
marialuisa....that would make me feel uncomfortable too. You must want to just wrap dpony in cotton wool until they take him!!

OP posts:
careergirl · 29/07/2012 18:33

this won't help actually but... I wouldn't do it.
Two hours is not exactly up the road, what happens if god forbid pony is injured or sick whilst in their care or one of the children has an accident involving the pony. If you do let him go you must go and see the conditions he is to be kept in. You must retain the passport and you must get a contract drawn up. See the BHS standard one. Don't take a deposit. What if they don't return the pony and say they have bought him (money has changed hands)
Treat it as a loan until a sale is formalised.
I just wouldn't do it to be honest.

marialuisa · 29/07/2012 20:21

I did refuse LWVTB but it's so hard to sell ponies at the moment it may seem like the best answer unless you can afford to keep the pony turned away indefinitely.

With the deposit you just write a receipt you both sign saying it's a deposit. Any kind of loan is a risk but sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Booboostoo · 30/07/2012 07:19

A loan is always risky.

Definitely do a loan agreement as per BHS and get a receipt for any money that changes hands, stating clearly when the loan is to end and under what conditions (buy or return).

Give them the passport, it's illegal for a horse to be moved without its passport, but inform your passport issuing authority that the pony is on loan (a passport is not proof of ownership anyway).

Inform your insurance that the pony is on loan and make sure you have vets fees insurance under these conditions (most insurers are fine with this).

Inspect the yard before the pony goes and visit every week. This sounds like a massive hassle but it is the only way you will notice problems early on. People have a tendency to not say anything when they get themselves into trouble during loans, they may keep reasuring the owner all is well, until they return a horse at the end of the loan which is entirely different to the one that left for the loan. The pony is likely to become a bit unsettled by the move so make sure they are aware of that and have proper professional support in place to help them out.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss · 30/07/2012 12:04

Tricky!
It's so hard to know what is best!
Definitely get a signed contract, tying everything up tighter than tight.
The BHS loan contract is pretty good, I tailored it to fit my pony, stating no shoes, NO FEED EVER unless agreed BY ME, what tack she was taking, where she was to live, that she was not to be moved without my permission, and that any deviation gave me the option of taking her back instantly! Also that any illness or injury sustained in the loaners care was to be paid for by them, until conclusion, whether or not I chose to remove the pony due to their incompetence
This was signed before witnesses, and I saw proper identification. (drivers license, important mail, make a note of their address)
If you deliver the pony, then you can retain the passport at the end of the journey. If not, it really needs to travel with it. You could call the agency as someone else stated and inform them that the pony is on loan and not to amend details until you inform them in writing!
As someone else also said, vetting FIRST. I'd also probably not take a deposit, as it could be argued as having purchased.
I'd also definitely be going there and checking the place out. you need to know where the pony can be found for a start!
That said, there is no guarantee. Even selling outright is a real leap of faith! They could leave your place and disappear from the face of the earth!
I think, if I was in your place, I'd have them over a few times to ride and enjoy the pony, take the CASH upfront, to be held aside for a trial period, and then let them take the pony, with a written agreement regarding care and veterinary treatment. If they are still happy and the pony is happy, after a month, then bank the money.

schoolgovernor · 03/08/2012 09:20

The passport has to stay with the pony's "keeper" - which is the loaner not you. You could photocopy it and inform the passport issuing agency in writing that the pony is going out on loan and that you are retaining ownership until you notify them otherwise. There is a £1,000 fine for transporting without a passport and professional companies won't do it anyway.
If you do this then I think you need to go and visit where the pony is going to live, and be planning to visit weekly to check that the pony is being cared for properly. I'd probably arrange a visit and arrive early...
Make sure the contract covers things like who is going to pay for insurance, pay excess in case of vet's bills, cost of return transport if required. You might also want to consider changes of feed and tack, because the pony may come back.
You may be able to find a suitable contract on the internet.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.