Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

cost of feeding pony

booksinbed · 24/07/2012 20:46

ive just posted about getting another pony.The pony is not shod ,can live out ,i may be able to get livery for 20 pw - on top of this how much is hailage /hay pw - its included in our current livery so i dont know how much it is to feeda 14 hand pony.apart from insurance - any other costs apart from vac and worm????i need to do the maths ....!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alameda · 24/07/2012 21:21

you just need to be prepared for all eventualities - an injury or illness not covered by insurance or requiring stabling for extended periods, for example, it is a good idea to keep putting money aside as and when you can for emergencies including stuff like a new saddle

we do the 'how much is a bale of hay' thread now and then and there is massive regional variation

but the short answer is 'more than you think'

Please
or

Amieesmum · 24/07/2012 22:05

ayye one of our BIG bales is £40 - Pony can live out, but what is snow is heavy - fields flooded etc etc
Also depends what you're going to feed it - kind of the how long is a peice of string question. I used to spend £45 on a bag of balancer lasted a while - then £12 p/w on weight gain - plus Sugarbeet - chaff (for my TB) so probably well over £100 a month on feed
The pony on the other hand only has Pony nuts - ballancer - chaff totals (in winter probably £40 per month, and the odd dollop of sugarbeet if it was really chilly? At a guess.

Also If pony is living out, you'll need pretty decent hefty rugs - and they tend to need a few, incase they get too wet - muddy - etc etc

Routine vet bills - Teeth - vaccinations too as well as the unexpected and things that aren't covered by your insurance - plus theres always an excess to pay insurance wise.

Products and "stuff" mud fever cream if living out - barrier creams etc etc, first aid supplies, suplements, fly sprays (not cheap at £30 a pop for the good ones)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.