My feed

to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Please can any of you lovely horsey people help me out?

20 replies

Saltire · 04/07/2012 21:55

My DB needs an insurance. He needs it to cover 2 weeks and for
A- him falling off and seriously hurting himself
B_ The horse getting injured
C- the horse injuring someone else or someone elses property

Where do I start looking?

OP posts:
Saltire · 04/07/2012 22:17


OP posts:
JellyMould · 04/07/2012 22:21

I think the petplan rider plan would probably fit the bill. I don't know if they'll do it for just 2 weeks though.

MoonlightandRoses · 04/07/2012 22:25

The BHS site is never a bad place to start - details on relevant membership level here.

I'm guessing he doesn't own the horse? If not, then they are probably the best place. I've used them for years, both when loaning and when I got my own.

Hope there's a few more along with suggestions too.

Mirage · 05/07/2012 08:28

When we had to do this,I used a broker to sort out the insurance,and I think it was about £70 for the 2 weeks.

Treblesallround · 06/07/2012 11:52

Just double checking, but if he only needs it for 2 weeks, I assume he doesn't own the horse? It would be worth checking whether he would be covered for horse and public liability under the owner's insurance?

50ShadesOfSaggy · 06/07/2012 12:46

Don't bother with E&L insurance. It's a crap company!

Saltire · 06/07/2012 13:28

He doesn't own a horse and he won't be haivng the same horse, he needs it for 3 consecutive Saturdays . I can't go into too much detail without outing myself completely.

OP posts:
SilverSky · 06/07/2012 18:06

You need to speak to the insurers directly and explain to ensure suitable coverage.

NFU are good.

Loshad · 06/07/2012 23:26

yes avoid E and L like the plague, would def recommend NFU, or try comparison with brokers

Alameda · 06/07/2012 23:41

SEIB do bespoke insurance packages too I think?

have been following awful thing with E&L not paying out at all on death of horse (friend of friend) even though covered for loss of use, quibbling valuation and other excuses, not what you need - and they were happy to take the annual premium based on initial valuation so why question it now? sorry, that was just to second/third avoid E and L

SilverSky · 07/07/2012 03:55

I would also avoid E&L.

Saltire · 08/07/2012 17:32

I hav ebee googling but seem to be getting nowhere. There was one company that offered insurance for 1-7 days, but thats no good.

OP posts:
Butkin · 08/07/2012 20:00

Call somebody like KBIS or NFU and talk them through what you want. They may do you a bespoke service. I'm sure if you speak to the 1-7 day people they can quote you over the phone for 14 days or whatever you need.

Butkin · 08/07/2012 20:01

Still suprised by the way that the individual horse owners don't have insurance for their animals/liability. Presumably you've checked with the owners/organisation?

Saltire · 09/07/2012 10:25

I think they possibly have got insurance for the horse, given the nature of the event. However I think my DBs main concern is a sort of public liability typ insurance that covers him while he's on it

OP posts:
Mirage · 09/07/2012 12:27

The horse owners should have public liability for their horses too.We were surprised to find that our home insurance covers us re this for our ponies.Might be worth ringing and asking yours?

Butkin · 09/07/2012 12:38

Yes all our horses have £2 Million public liability insurance as part of their insurance - through KBIS (required as part of our livery agreement).

Saltire · 12/07/2012 10:30

Right DB has checked, the horse owners have got insurance. He says he needs some sort of insurance that covers him from any claim made against him whilst he's in control of the horse

OP posts:
Mirage · 12/07/2012 13:22

Get him to check with his home insurers first,he may be covered through them.Otherwise try one on the companies recommended on here.

I hope he enjoys his riding experience.Smile

SilverSky · 12/07/2012 16:51

NFU have a Rider's insurance which might suit.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.