Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

pony loan

booksinbed · 26/06/2012 19:31

Hi - we were about to buy our own pony and bring to stables were we ride and owner of stables said be careful dont over horse dd - why dont you loan mine - we prevoius had lessons on he pony.she said why dont you get a trailer then you can go were you want on him do what you like - withiut the resopnsibility of owning such as insurance etc
.It was a difficult decsion for us as it was our ist but and also we asked if she was sure as if we got trailer we wd have no cash for pony of own

6 months down the line it had been going really well but over last few weeks the goal posts seemed to be gradually changing - you cant come today , im using him for soemone for a lesson,-.and when we ask to go somewere or go to a club its no- just what she wants her pony to go to - which i understand - but that wasnt the agreement-she has never loaned him before and i wonder if she regrets it but isnt saying .try as i might i cant get staight answer.

.we constantly re assure her that we take the greatest care of him and she says she trusts us but from promising we can hack out ,do what we like we are being limited to 2 things only and its not what we agreed.i did say lets re cap re the loan sit and its as if she remambers a different dialouge- - feel like im boners as i know that i heard her right as it was so important that we made the right decsion but she seems to avoid claritySomeone today said to me that she must have done it to keep her pony fit and in schooling - as my dd is very into schoolig and used to do it for free for her and others- rather than wanted a loan- what to do >>IS THIS USUAL ??feel uncomfortable...

OP's posts:
Please
or

horseylady · 26/06/2012 19:43

I don't think I fully understand what you're asking?

My pony is on loan at the stables where I keep my other horse. They pay for everything but insurance. If I understand correctly you pay for nothing? But your daughter gets to ride the pony?

Id have a chat and get something in writing. That way both parties are covered!

Please
or

N0tinmylife · 26/06/2012 19:48

I think you need to sit down with her and clarify what you both expect from this arrangement. You definitely need something in writing that you can both refer to. If you can't come to an agreement that works for both parties then I guess it is time to walk away. Good luck, hope you get it sorted!!

Please
or

booksinbed · 26/06/2012 19:54

we pay 50 pounds a week horseylady - the agreement for that was to ride him when we wnated ang go places.

OP's posts:
Please
or

booksinbed · 26/06/2012 19:55

noy in my life - we verbally agreed at start and now the rules seem to have been changed...... didnt write down ooops

OP's posts:
Please
or

horseylady · 26/06/2012 20:09

In which case definitely sit down and get something in writing! You're paying a lot of money for something you aren't fully using like you would if he was your own (or he was loaned away from his owner).

Will help both parties. The bhs has a good one, I altered it for my circumstances, but it was very useful!

Please
or

TheQueenOfDiamonds · 26/06/2012 20:50

She saw you coming tbh.
£50 a WEEK? For part loan? And she has free tansport cause she got you to buy a trailer too.

I'd get out of it now. It'd be cheaper to buy your DD one of her own tbh.

Please
or

Mirage · 26/06/2012 21:05

Blimey! £50 a week? I don't pay that to keep 2 ponies.I think she is taking advantage of you.With loans,the loaner normally treats the pony as their own,paying insurance,jabs ect,but activities,feed ect limited to what they have previously agreed with the owner in writing.We loan a little Section A and can do what we like with him,as long as we keep to our agreement.

Please
or

Callisto · 26/06/2012 21:34

Wow, £50 a week is very steep and it sounds like the owner is really taking advantage. I have a pony on loan with a friend right now and as far as I'm concerned the pony is her pony. I wouldn't dream of barging in and telling her what she can and can't do with him (within reason and with no welfare issues obviously).

I think you need to either get something in writing or cut your losses and try and find another loan pony. The second option would be my preference at this point, but you know the owner. Good luck with it.

Please
or

Butkin · 26/06/2012 22:55

Crumbs when I let somebody come and ride my boy (lovely ride, Champion show horse) I didn't even charge them anything. Just pleased that they helped get him fit. Seems as if your person saw you coming given that she is being so tricky.

Please
or

booksinbed · 26/06/2012 23:16

thankyou all - i was starting to feel uncomfortable .esp as we belived what she said and then the goal posts have changed- you have helped me put it in perspective - which was dificult as it was a slow and insidiuos change at first - come to think of it i did try to put stuff in writing several times but they kept putting it off and now i see why............... got us caught up then changed the rules .thanks again all i thought i was doing something wrong and was feeling awkward.!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Treblesallround · 27/06/2012 09:04

I'd find a nice livery yard where you'll be happy then start looking for a proper loan pony. You should easily manage to have full use of the pony, and some help on what you are currently paying. Even my high maintenance pony (in at night all yer round, high calorie feed all year etc) would probably give you a bit of change!

Let us know where you are and we'll help you search if you like

Please
or

booksinbed · 28/06/2012 17:31

thankyou all!! I have found a livery yard which for 50 pounds for week includes all food and a lesson a week and thay look after pony if you are away etc.the owner says it is expensive but for this she really looks after them .We have seen a 14 .1 conemara to buy and its exiting ..!! thanks so much all xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

booksinbed · 28/06/2012 17:33

ps lady at livery yard terrifying grumpy but caring but she really loves horses [not people which she openly says] and we need the guidance and it ten min away !!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

horseylady · 28/06/2012 18:46

Books where are you? I have a welsh for loan/sale

Please
or

booksinbed · 28/06/2012 21:29

horseylady we are noth west

OP's posts:
Please
or

booksinbed · 28/06/2012 21:30

i meant north west!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Treblesallround · 29/06/2012 08:38

£50 a week for what you're getting is amazing value! Are you going to see the connemara?

Please
or

booksinbed · 29/06/2012 13:15

treble- we have and we have reserved her now!!!!!!!-she is forward going - a bit too so for me but good for dd aged 13 for xc .i will just have to hack out only IN WALK as at present her trot gets faster and so does canter- dd can collect her - im not v experienced you see cf to dd. thanks you all for chat and support - beside self exited!!!!! .i know there will be ups and downs but so exited .-( we did take a n experienced person with us tho )

OP's posts:
Please
or

Treblesallround · 29/06/2012 14:26

How exciting for you all. Start out hacking at walk and see how you go, you might surprise yourself! When do you get her? Our 13 year old's got a connemara/tb mare who she loves to bits. Tell us all about her Smile

Please
or

booksinbed · 29/06/2012 14:40

TREBLES She comes from cheshire.She is 14 1,arrives next week all being well!!!!!

.she struggles on one side canter a bit due to being out of schooling according to owner as has been doing mosty cx and hunting- and she used her pref canter leg most of the time doing so.

.i find her contact quite hard as she waggles her head arround a lot.she has a snaffle and what owner said was a gag ?/ for xc jump which ive never heard of but being v experineced not sure what is

.my dd said that you have to have a light contact and do a lot of give and take even so she still waggled a lot with my dd riding her

.She has pale grey body with dark grey dapple to her legs.we adore her.she is very calm on the ground.i love native breeds.

glad to hear your dd is enjoying!!!.What is your dd conemara like and any tips welcome- nay needed!!!!.

ps she seems a bold jumper and seems to love the field and be more happy there on xc than in the school

.i didnt think that i could love a pony so much before its even arrived.i feel like a teen never mind my dd !!!!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheQueenOfDiamonds · 29/06/2012 16:07

A lot of horses and ponies find one side harder than the other - The same way most people are right handed. Most horses and ponies are left sided and will go better on the left than the right - Some are the oposite though but you will notice in most horses at least a slight preference for one rein over the other. She will even up more with schooling. My friend has just taken on an ex racer and has literally just walked him every day for four weeks and there is improvement already and he is starting to bend more.

Your livery yard sounds good value! I pay £20 a week for my stable rent, then £30 a month for ad lib hay (Usually cheaper but YO Had to buy it in this time) and £20 a month ad lib straw so it works out at just over £30 a week, And then i have his hard feed/feet/worming etc to pay for - Although as we're on mixed grazing we worm differently to most.

We don't get them turned out for us though etc, Although i'm sure YO would if needed, We have to arrange that for ourselves in the case of holidays etc. [Although i can't afford a holiday now so that's not a problem haha].

I'm in the northwest too! Where abouts are you? I'm near warrington x

Please
or

booksinbed · 29/06/2012 22:54

queen- i have to pay worming and shoes on top - shes will live out and get winter food inc tho.
near lancaster - but was driving past you up and down motorway looking at pony !!
thanks v much for info re the sides - its good to know .

so exited !!!!!

the lady who owns the stable doesnt like hols she likesto stay with the horses!!As for our hols yes we are done for in that respect 2 but i have a son who is desperate totraevl and is miffed as this decision affects his options- feel a teeny bit selfish .we have got a cheap caravan for hols- he is mortifed as the idea at goimng caravaning with parents at nearly 16 is worse than me spend all our money ona pony and its upkeep .!!!!!!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.