Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Has anyone successfully had a horse on loan from someone they didn't know?

Notinmykitchen · 01/03/2012 10:56

I have had a couple of horses on loan in the past, but both times its been a fairly informal arrangement with people I knew fairly well. I am now looking for a horse on loan again after a 4 year break, so I have lost touch with most of the horsey people I knew.

So far I have enquired about 5 different horses I have seen advertised. In every case the owner has then changed their mind and decided they don't want to let the horse out on loan after all. I am starting to wonder if I should give up, and save until I can afford to buy. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has successfully had a horse on loan, or loaned a horse to a stranger. Did it work out OK, or is it a really bad idea?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LisaD1 · 01/03/2012 12:24

Hi,

I originally had my horse on loan, she belonged to a lady who had too many horses and she was sat wasted in a filed (aged just 7), I had her on loan for 2 years and then I bought her, we're still together 7 years later :-)

It can work out but I remember feeling as you do, I saw a lot of horses before I found my girl, some the owners changed their mind about and some I didn't want.

Good luck.

Please
or

Notinmykitchen · 01/03/2012 12:44

Thanks for replying, at least there is some hope then! I haven't even got as far as seeing any yet, although in the scheme of things I guess I haven't been looking long.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Treblesallround · 01/03/2012 14:27

We had old pony on loan for nearly a year before we bought him. Horse loaning/buying is fraught and takes a while. Keep looking!

Please
or

snowpo · 01/03/2012 21:09

I have loaned mine to someone I found on the internet. I spent a long time trawling the 'wanted on loan' ads. Obviously I was really wary of getting the right person cos of all the terrible stories you hear. I avoided putting a loan advert up as I knew I'd get loads of unsuitable replies. He went to a lovely guy who absolutely adores him.
I'd suggest its well worth putting a 'wanted' ad with your specific requirements & what you can offer on a few sites. Make it clear that the owner can vet your set up and is welcome to visit etc.
If you find something suitable I would suggest downloading the BHS loan agreement and adjusting it to your requirements so both parties are clear about the arrangement, who is responsible for what, equipment loaned etc. Good luck!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.