My feed

to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Does anyone know of a supplier of padded riding underwear for small boys available in the uk?

12 replies

Ponyproblem · 04/07/2011 22:08

My ds (6) is having trouble down below when riding.

I have been trying to get him some padded riding underwear like these but without the $30 delivery charge.

Does anyone know of a UK supplier or of a similar product available in the UK?

Alternatively, does anyone have an another solution to what is proving to be a sensitive problem Blush

OP posts:
Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 04/07/2011 22:13

Miles in the saddle, and more lessons to improve his position? If he is bruising himself, he needs to alter his posture.

Ponyproblem · 04/07/2011 22:18

I know Saggy - his posture is off and he has limited experience. The problem is he will not keep riding long enough unless I can find him an interim solution.

OP posts:
Pixel · 04/07/2011 22:28

Ds was obviously uncomfortable when he was riding so I got him some stretchy trunks (quite snug fitting though), the sort that go partly down the leg (like these) and he has been much better. I think his 'bits' were getting pinched by the seams on the edge of his normal pants.

violetwellies · 04/07/2011 22:28

Cycling shorts under his jods? I use made to measure from Goldfinch // or contact Performance Equestrian both do fab riding tights in a good range of colours. I prefer Goldfinch :)

Disasterpiece · 04/07/2011 22:39

I used to hack out with a man who put a sponge down his jods! Grin

Ponyproblem · 04/07/2011 23:05

Grin Disaster the sponge idea is hilarious but might just work! I think I will try these ideas out in order of cost.

I am now wondering how I persuade a 6 year old boy that putting a sponge in his jods is a great idea and that he won't look stupid at all! Hmm

Thanks everyone for posting your suggestions - keep them coming please!

OP posts:
Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 05/07/2011 02:01

Have you tried a different type of saddle? A cub saddle or felt pad is a different shape from a normal saddle and might make a difference. (sorry, I was quite abrupt up thread, I was preoccupied, didnt mean to be offhand) Smile

frostyfingers · 05/07/2011 08:35

You could also try one of those saddle saver gel pad thingies that go on top of the saddle - not sure but I think endurance riders use them.

frostyfingers · 05/07/2011 08:38
Ponyproblem · 05/07/2011 12:48

No worries Saggy I didn't feel you had been offhand. It is often hard to get the right tone with the written word. Smile

I can't change the saddle as it is not our own pony, it is a variety of saddles on a variety of riding school ponies.

frosty I will ask his instructor if the pad is an option I could use on their saddles.

The majority of his discomfort is due to him leaning forward too much, especially during trot, although he is not dreadful. Until he improves his posture it is going to be a problem.

I wish you could all have seen his face this morning when I discussed the sponge down his jods idea with him Grin

OP posts:
cedmonds · 05/07/2011 18:42

Hi my mum sells them> They are an make from Italy. The only prob is they are adults only but a XS fits my very skinny 9 DN . If you are interested i can give u the details. I know a lot of the professional dressage male riders have them!!

UniS · 09/07/2011 21:45

cycle shorts for small kids cost about 15-20 quid, would have to be ordered through a bike shop or on line. Boy age 5 has "polaris mini adventure shorts" size small

No idea what they are like on a pony saddle, they do a bang up job on bike saddles small and large. Boy was suffering abit when he rode teh tandem which has an adult saddle, shorts stop him getting rubbed by the edge of his pants leg hole IYSWIM.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.