Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

How does placing system work for showjumping?

dappleton · 18/05/2011 09:13

To those of you that compete on a regular basis this is going to sound like a daft question but I haven't done any showjumping since I was a child and have since forgotton all the rules BlushPlease help!!!
So, I understand a clear round gives a place in the jump off and then it's fastest in the jump off to decide placings, however, if placings are to 6th and only 3 go clear in the first round for example how are the placings decided and if faults are accrued how does that affect the placings?
Sorry I know this is a bit of a ramble but I hope you can gather what I am asking Confused - Any advice very gratefully received.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 18/05/2011 21:03

God only knows! I used to get dragged to Towerlands to watch on a regular basis, and I still dont have a clue! Confused

Please
or

dappleton · 19/05/2011 10:09

Thanks for your honesty Saggyoldclothcatpuss, at least I feel a bit better about not being the only one to find this all a bit confusing! Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

Butkin · 19/05/2011 16:53

Sorry we don't do showjumping just Working Hunter. In the affiliated classes they usually invite the clear rounds and 4 faulters back - enough to more than cover the number of rosettes. I think at smaller shows they all come back. Of course they are going to do their shows rather than jump offs.

I await to hear how it works in SJ!

Please
or

Eve · 20/05/2011 09:33

depend on what they are doing,

If its a clear round, so those with clear rounds get invited to jump a shortened course, which is usually timed for placing.

Id it 2phase, if you have gone clear over the 1st 8 or so you are allowed to continue over the rest and thats usually timed.

However , if its optimum time, then its those clear and closest to the time selected, not necessarily the fastest.

Please
or

Loshad · 20/05/2011 23:55

dappleton - round here unaff depends on the venue - some would have the 4 faulters jump off for 4-6 place, others would jump at the chance to only award 3 rosettes and save some cash, yes others would have timed first round and award 4-6 on that, virtually nowhere would have all 4 faulters share 4th - which should be the strict interpretation of some rule variants.

If you haven't sj for ages take care that a refusal is now penalised as a knockdown ie 4 faults not 3 - they changed it at some point during my childbreeding years!!!

Please
or

dappleton · 23/05/2011 13:15

Thanks for your replies, that's a bit clearer now, so clear rounds jump off for highest placings then 4 faulters jump off for lower placings. Loshad thanks for the update on change of penalties, I haven't done a SJ comp for 15yrs or more so didn't have a clue about that one!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.