Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Bridlepaths

annieapple7 · 16/05/2011 11:38

Hi everyone
Has anyone experience of lobbying their council to change footpaths to bridleways? It feels like we are being squeezed out here as dog walkers complain about horse riders and kissing gates have been put up to keep horses out.

OP's posts:
Please
or

annieapple7 · 16/05/2011 16:27

Not sure why this message came up 3 times! Sorry!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ManateeEquineOhara · 16/05/2011 17:37

OMG - that is so unfair. I haven't because I moved to this area and it already had useless bridle paths! But I do hope someone replies with a wonderful positive story!

Please
or

Booboostoo · 17/05/2011 10:53

Horses should not be on footpaths, so if they are using them, other users are right to complain. Sadly there are few areas with good access to off road riding, but I have a feeling it is extremely difficult to change existing rights of way to bridleways. One possibility is to see if you can persuade friendly local farmers to set up permissive bridleways (I think there is some funding towards that) or the pay-as-you-ride bridleways (I think they are called TOLL rides). Your local BHS access officer may be able to help with more ideas.

Please
or

frostyfingers · 17/05/2011 14:19

Try the BHS, I'm pretty sure they have an access officer and are pretty efficient at sticking up for bridleways etc.

Please
or

Callisto · 17/05/2011 18:21

The BHS will help. Also make sure that all of the bridlepaths in your area are open - OS maps are brilliant for this. Please don't ride on footpaths - it just pisses people off so they are less likely to slow down for us on the roads. And I would be pretty pissed off myself if I met horses on some of the very narrow footpaths around me.

Please
or

annieapple7 · 17/05/2011 22:07

Thanks guys. The dunes where we ride have no marked paths - it is designated Public Open Space - but it is the access that is restricted.
We have lots of footpaths in our area which are all kissing gates and stiles anyway, but if some could be upgraded to bridlepaths would allow is to avoid some pretty scary roads. Will get an OS map and investigate....
just get the feeling we need to start standing up for ourselves sooner rather than later!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlueChampagne · 19/05/2011 13:25

BHS might also point you in the direction of a local bridleways group, who would be delighted to have a new and active member!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.