Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Has anyone taken the trailer test?

marialuisa · 09/05/2011 09:39

I can't automatically tow or drive a 3.5 tonne box on my driving licence so would need to take the trailer test. Has anyone done it an can you tell me what it involves? DH has done the driving so far but is a grumpy pain-in-the-neck at shows, causing all manner of extra stress so am contemplating doing the test so DD and I can have a nice day without him!

OP's posts:
Please
or

elephantpoo · 09/05/2011 10:28

ooh-will await your responses marialuisa - I'm in a similar situation (though we haven't been to any shows yet, I am anticipating the stress you describe).....

Please
or

marialuisa · 09/05/2011 12:06

Anyone?

Elephantpoo-think I made a tactical error by taking DH to Burghley on XC day. Poor little DD on her 12.2hh is never going to be as "quite interesting" as that! Could rant about DH's attitude endlessly, thankfully our new yard is a big local show venue, less thakfully they are mainly serious BSPS type shows......

OP's posts:
Please
or

olderyetwider · 09/05/2011 14:37

I can tow on my licence (as I am ancient) but haven't tried. I think I'd be fine except in reverse, but I'm certain I'd jack-knife it if I tried, so DH does all the driving. He's happy to do it, and does it really well, but I'd love to be able to tow as well so we have a bit more flexibility. I got details of the course a while ago, but DH happy to tow, so lazy bones me didn't get round to following it up, but I must.

At the moment it's a pain, as we hire a trailer when we go anywhere (so even a Pony Club rally costs £35 in transport and trailer has to be collected and returned). Our car is also going to struggle to tow a bigger pony than current one (or to take 2 ponies to shows)

DH has suggested we start looking for a small, tatty but sound lorry. Now that would be heaven! I know I could drive something like a Luton, as have done times.

Please
or

marialuisa · 09/05/2011 14:41

Watching someone reverse and park up at the yard the other day left me thinking no way (stereotypical woman and haven't parallel parked since the day of my test!).....Where do you hire from as that's a very good rate?

OP's posts:
Please
or

olderyetwider · 09/05/2011 14:48

He is very good. He's called Bob, at East Midlands Equine at East Leake. He's very obliging, knows which shows we normally go to, and always checks whether we want a trailer if I haven't booked for them, and won't let 'our' trailer out on those days till he knows we don't want it

Please
or

marialuisa · 09/05/2011 15:17

Thank you-that's very useful to know!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 09/05/2011 17:56

I ought to take the test, but can't afford it. There is a towing 'loophole' though. If the official max laden weight of the trailer is less than the official unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the whole lot together weighs less than 3.5 tonnes, I can tow it. It clearly states this on the DVLA website. I managed to pick up a little old trailer for £100, (bramber stroller double pony, apparently about 50years old!!) had it refurbished, and, pending towbar attachment on my citroen c5, we should be mobile.

Please
or

marialuisa · 09/05/2011 20:30

Thanks Saggy, that's very interesting.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bustersmummy · 09/05/2011 20:36

I am old and I've never done the trailer test.

I can't reverse for peanuts.

I usually bat the baby blues at a random bloke and he comes to my rescue.

Much less stressful than having to take (the now ex) DH

Please
or

marialuisa · 10/05/2011 21:01

anyone?

OP's posts:
Please
or

GentleOtter · 10/05/2011 21:06

Do you have a local agriculture college? They run courses on reversing tractor trailers, machinery etc and would be able to teach you how to handle a trailer.

Please
or

marialuisa · 11/05/2011 08:26

I could get my little bro to teach me as he's a dab hand with all manner of farm machinery...it's more about how scary/difficult the test is?

OP's posts:
Please
or

CMOTdibbler · 11/05/2011 08:30

DH is just sorting out doing his trailer test. In our area theres quite a few places that do trailer training, so why not call somewhere up, do a trial lesson and see how it goes ?

The test doesn't look that hard

Please
or

GentleOtter · 11/05/2011 08:33

The tractor trailer one involved lowering the links, hitching up, reverse park to the left, then straight back then to the right, indicating then stop and unhitch.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.