Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

The tack room

would you clear ragwort (with gloves on) whilst pregnant?

3 replies

GothMummy · 09/03/2011 12:49

Hey,

ragwort rosettes have started to appear in my horses paddock again this year. I was all set to get the rag fork out and start clearing this weekend, but does anyone know if am I at extra risk handling this plant whilst pregnant, or should I pay someone else to do it this year, is it an risk to the baby? Obviously I wear gloves and long sleeved tops whilst clearing ragwort.

I have heard of people getting ill through skin contact with ragwort you see...

thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

ragged · 09/03/2011 19:31

From what I read here it sounds like it's nothign worse than a mild skin rash that ragwort sometimes causes.

Please
or

Lucyinthepie · 10/03/2011 09:06

Ragwort can be absorbed through our skin and long-term cause liver damage. That's some info for people like me who spent hours in their youth pulling massive stalks of ragwort by hand...
I think anyone would hesitate to advise you on this categorically, but personally, if pregnant, I'd take the same precautions to avoid skin contact as I do normally.

Please
or

GothMummy · 10/03/2011 11:26

Lucyinthepie - I used to pull it out with bare hands when a teenager too. Now I wear rubber gloves and long sleeves... we didnt know the risks back then.

thanks for your replies :)

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?