Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Leaving permanent job for supply

Whatshallidonowplease · 06/07/2022 20:53

Has anybody left their permanent role to go on supply and found it was the right move? I’m at the end of my tether at my current school - bullying leadership team, ridiculous workload and unrealistic expectations and need to get out for my own sanity.
We’re part of an academy chain and HR have agreed I can leave at the end of the year should I want to. However, there are no permanent jobs out around here now so I’m thinking of going to long-term supply while I look for something permanent, although I’m terrified.
I need some encouraging words, please. I’m primary, if that helps (and three days a week while DS is still little, ideally).

OP's posts:
Please
or

bananagame · 08/07/2022 17:42

Yes I did and it was the best thing I every did. 8 years on, I'm stil on supply and loving it! When I want to I can do a long term position or if I want more flexibility, I do day to day. The best thing is, if I'm every unhappy, I can leave. Money is the only downside as I don't earn as much as I did as a permanent teacher but for me it's worth it. I hope it works out for you.

Please
or

Traceability · 09/07/2022 08:56

Yes, I'm leaving this year. I have been wanting to for years and also in a trust. The feeling of making that decision is brilliant, a massive weight lifted. Do what's best for you! You deserve better, I have a temporary post and after that supply or see what opportunities arise. I have always gone with my head and thought of financial security but I couldn't do it anymore, it's not worth it. I was scared of the idea of being experienced and on supply but there isn't an option to stay anymore, my mental health is shot and my morals were compromised. Take the risk! It'll be ok in the end.

Please
or

Whatshallidonowplease · 10/07/2022 16:04

Thank you both for your replies. It’s good to know that the grass can be greener (if not a little scary, too). I’ve registered with an agency but by chance was offered a long-term supply post in a previous colleague’s school through the agency, which I’m looking forward to.
@Traceability i hope your mental health improves with a change in jobs. Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ilikecheeseontoast · 19/07/2022 18:26

I’m also considering this. Watching with interest.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.