Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

IB Math Teacher return to the UK

MathTeacherespana · 09/06/2022 16:12

Any teachers on here who teach the IB curriculum ? I am a physics and maths teacher and have been teaching in Spain for the last five years....we are planning to return to UK,....I myself plan to leave teaching but I have done quite a few applications with no success and cannot afford the paycut, I have accepted, I will probably have to take on a teaching role, but IB roles are few and far between, any tips on how to secure one.... I have seen one on TES being advertised for £ 48,0000´to £ 68,000 is this a realistic salary for an IB teacher, any tips on where I can find more vacancies.

OP's posts:
Please
or

monkeysox · 09/06/2022 18:17

Most UK schools teach GCSE and a level so could you teach those.

Please
or

Dizzyhedgehog · 10/06/2022 05:46

Could you teach something that isn't IB? Surely there are positions for teachers for Maths and Physics, even if it's GCSE and A-Level.
If it has to be IB, you might have more luck looking at international and independent schools. There might be some state schools offering it but I don't think it's that many.
The money won't be the same. I'm abroad and my pay as a simple class teacher here is higher than what I used to get on UPS and with a TLR back in the UK. (I also have loads more spare time here and just work my contracted hours.)

Please
or

MathTeacherespana · 12/06/2022 00:20

Yes I could teach gcse/Alevel but I really like the IB course and would prefer not to switch

OP's posts:
Please
or

WayDownInTheHole · 12/06/2022 21:42

MathTeacherespana · 12/06/2022 00:20

Yes I could teach gcse/Alevel but I really like the IB course and would prefer not to switch

Please
or

OutDamnedSpot · 12/06/2022 23:35

£48-£68k sounds very high and not many schools do IB here. Are you limited by area/location too?

Please
or

wandlight · 14/06/2022 07:40

I live in West Kent and there are three full IB schools within a few miles, which is probably unusual. You've got Sevenoaks School (day/boarding, private, quite international, one of the big IB players), Tonbridge Grammar School (super selective state girls' grammar, coed sixth form), and Skinners Kent Academy (coed state comprehensive). First two are v academic, around 40/35 IB points average respectively, the third is non-selective and does the career programme not the diploma. There may be others that I don't know of.

That's quite a chunky salary you're looking at in the job advert - not unachievable, but would probably mean a fair bit of additional responsibility (head of department, head of year etc), which you might be hesitant about if your heart's not really in teaching any more.

Please
or

Hunderland · 25/06/2022 00:02

If you're moving near Cardiff there's the IB head office too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.