Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Full time with young children

RaineDay · 30/05/2022 19:29

I’ve been working part time for four years now, I’m an infant teacher. It’s worked well but unfortunately I am going to have to return full time in the next year or so for financial reasons.

I am worried about the impact on my own children and wondered if anyone could reassure me? They will be 7 and 4 and attending school breakfast and after school club. We don’t have family to help locally so I am feeling guilty that I’ll never be able to do a normal school run and they’ll have long days. I appreciate lots of parents work full time, I’m sure it will work out but looking for tips, tricks or any insight into how to make life work?

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

Katjolo · 30/05/2022 21:33

How many days do you do now OP?

Please
or

Hercisback · 30/05/2022 22:18

I do it but with supportive local family. They do 2 pick ups a week. Everything else is husband or breakfast/after school club.

Do you both need to be in early? I get in early and leave early to get the kids. Sorry if you don't have a partner.

Dump the guilt about breakfast/after school club. You get 13 weeks with them. I refuse to feel bad about weekdays. I try not to work weekends and get as much as possible done during the day and evenings. It's just about manageable term time.

Get organised. Have freezer meals ready to go. Worth a day every half term sorting them. We have a cleaner every other week. I have relatively low standards which helps. Accept that good enough is enough. You don't need to be extra all the time (if you are at the moment!).

Would your school allow PPA at home for you to pick up or drop off once a week?

Please
or

RaineDay · 31/05/2022 07:49

I work 3 days at the moment. It has been fabulous in terms of work/life balance. Husband leaves before we even get up unfortunately. PPA is definitely worth asking, I am lucky to work in a supportive school.

OP's posts:
Please
or

wingingit33 · 31/05/2022 19:12

I do four days and love it. I'm on mat leave at the mo with baby no 3 but will return to 0.8 again. My older kids go to the same school so logistics are easy but would four be an option for you?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.