Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Pension scheme in an independent / non-LA school?

Lambing22 · 29/05/2022 10:43

Would I be right in thinking that pension schemes in non-LA schools would be defined contribution rather than defined benefit?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ElegantPuma · 29/05/2022 19:33

Academies are in the TPS. Many indies still are, although there is a trend for them to stay in only for existing staff and exclude new staff (looking at you GDST).

The whole independent sector is in turmoil about withdrawal from TPS, and ACAS are in at Pocklington after a series of strikes. It's something to question any potential employer about very carefully.

Please
or

WombatChocolate · 01/06/2022 18:15

Not all independents have withdrawn by any means. Those that have or will are likely to use defined contribution instead and the pension you get is likely to be far far less.

No one can say for certain if and how long independent schools will remain. Those that are successful and affluent can afford it most, whilst little struggling schools are most at risk of pulling out. At interview quiz them carefully and plans, but also recognise that things can change quickly. The more years you can get in the TPS the better. I absolutely wouldn’t consider a school not in it at the moment, as there are still plenty of schools that are part of it. Those who have withdrawn will be finding they have less applicants, because faced with 2 jobs, who would choose the one with a significantly worse pension??

Please
or

mmmscones · 02/06/2022 07:42

Hi OP, your other thread about TT+4 suggests you might be looking at an admin job not a teaching job? If that's the case, then you wouldn't get TPS anyway, as that's only for teachers. I'm admin and have worked in both sectors. In state, I was in the Local Authority pension scheme. In private, I'm in the school's workplace pension scheme (basically just like a normal company pension scheme). No admin staff in either sector would get defined benefit, I'd have thought.

If you are teaching staff, then it will depend on the school, as others have said. Ours has made a firm commitment to staying in TPS, but another local school has just left.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.