Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Experience of working in a small AP/PRU

MissMissICantDoThis · 28/05/2022 18:31

I have been tasked with setting up the new AP unit within our school grounds.
It will cater for up to 8 ks2 pupils. I have been told that they wish us to follow the same curriculum as the mainstream.
The school has set schemes for literacy and maths which are completely different depending on year group.
I am wondering if anyone has advice for how this is delivered in AP?

Do you have a set daily timetable?
How are the lessons delivered to the different ages?

I have some ideas but would really like to gather some wisdom on this. If anyone can advise on what a typical "teaching" day looks like, I would appreciate it. I have access to three classrooms (one will be made into a calm/sensory zone). There will be 4 teaching assistants.

OP's posts:
Please
or

2reefsin30knots · 03/06/2022 18:33

Hi, I would be happy to help you. My base is autism specific, but many of the pupils have behaviour that can challenge. My class is KS2; 8 pupils ad 3 TAs, so quite similar (although we have two classes). If you would like, PM me we can move to email and I can send you example timetables etc.

Please
or

2reefsin30knots · 03/06/2022 18:35

@MissMissICantDoThis Just @-ing you as I was late replying!

Please
or

LisaSimpson77 · 04/06/2022 16:24

This is tricky but bear in mind that many of the children will turn out to have underlying learning issues that have been masked by their challenging behaviour.
There are many tools you'll use to turn their behaviour around and with a sensory zone, two other classrooms and five staff you're off to a great start.
But, the ability to get a really thorough understanding of their learning needs and then set work that addresses these without being too overwhelming will be absolutely crucial.
I think SLT without a lot of SEND experience can often make the mistake of pushing AP into following the same curriculum as everybody else because it's simple and "looks good" from an OFSTED perspective.
If you can, visit as many AP as you can in your local area and ask them about their curriculum provision, interventions and behavioural strategies. Be prepared to really gather your evidence and stand your ground with SLT and Governors if they're pushing you to implement things that don't meet the children's needs.

Please
or

LisaSimpson77 · 04/06/2022 16:30

Also, regarding timetable. Yes we have a set timetable but be aware that you won't be able to teach them effectively until they're regulated so build a timetable around sensory circuits, mindfulness/relaxation activities and feeling check ins. You could potentially have children needing to work on any curriculum level from EYFS to year 6 (even in a KS2 group) and if you let the need to meet all curriculum requirements dominate your timetable at first you may find that you're limited in what you can achieve regarding their behaviour.

Please
or

sth85 · 06/06/2022 08:41

Hey, I set one up a few years ago... it was 3 classes (about 8 kids each) so happy to share any info/timetables etc. Welcome to PM me as well

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.