Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Issuing sanctions

Snowflakewater · 03/05/2022 13:19

How do your school operate, I have found when I’ve issued sanctions that they are taken back or removed at times. For example recently a student slammed my door open and then repeatedly kicked it. And when I said stop he laughed and said shut it before I carry on His sanction was removed for the fact he had a difficult day at school and a home issue. But my concern was if a student was behind thr door they could be really hurt

i totally empathise, however, should the sanction have remained?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dizzyhedgehog · 03/05/2022 13:54

Who removed "the sanction" and what was it meant to be?

As a general rule, no, my "sanctions" are not usually removed. However, we don't have sanctions as such or my class are not behaving in a way that would put them on the radar for any school-wide sanctions. Our behaviour policy doesn't really come into effect until a certain point, when we are heading towards permanent exclusion.
I might have mine miss a few minutes of break- or lunchtime. It's incredibly rare, though, and generally means they are spending time with me. I also inform parents if that's been necessary.

However, I teach P1 at an independent school and mine wouldn't slam or kick my door. Violent behaviour leads to the kids having to be picked up immediately.

Please
or

Snowflakewater · 03/05/2022 15:51

Dizzyhedgehog · 03/05/2022 13:54

Who removed "the sanction" and what was it meant to be?

As a general rule, no, my "sanctions" are not usually removed. However, we don't have sanctions as such or my class are not behaving in a way that would put them on the radar for any school-wide sanctions. Our behaviour policy doesn't really come into effect until a certain point, when we are heading towards permanent exclusion.
I might have mine miss a few minutes of break- or lunchtime. It's incredibly rare, though, and generally means they are spending time with me. I also inform parents if that's been necessary.

However, I teach P1 at an independent school and mine wouldn't slam or kick my door. Violent behaviour leads to the kids having to be picked up immediately.

The situation was the sanction being a 1.5 hour detention was removed because of the above reasons. The student then came and said yeah anyways what was I gonna say soz about it. Least the door never came off

that was accepted by slt as adequate and they were sent home. There are external issues with the student however surely letting it off once just means it’ll carry on surely? Or am I being harsh

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dizzyhedgehog · 03/05/2022 16:20

What were you expecting to achieve with a 90 minute detention? 🤔
OK, there are issues at home. That's a reason but not necessarily an excuse. Did you talk to the child to find out why they were slamming your door? Did SLT talk to them?
Did something happen just before they got to you?
If they are just being an arse, I'd at least expect a proper apology and wouldn't want the kid in my class until I got that. For that, you've got to sit down with them, though,...and understand that it's usually not personal.
Our secondary kids (we are a through school) would have to help the caretaker for a few lunchtimes, going round and fixing things, if they did something that could damage school property.

I'm not a fan of detentions. I find them quite pointless and oddly overused in the UK. (I went to school abroad, five different schools, and in the 13 years I never met anyone having had a detention. It just wasn't done...or needed.)

Please
or

Snowflakewater · 03/05/2022 17:10

Dizzyhedgehog · 03/05/2022 16:20

What were you expecting to achieve with a 90 minute detention? 🤔
OK, there are issues at home. That's a reason but not necessarily an excuse. Did you talk to the child to find out why they were slamming your door? Did SLT talk to them?
Did something happen just before they got to you?
If they are just being an arse, I'd at least expect a proper apology and wouldn't want the kid in my class until I got that. For that, you've got to sit down with them, though,...and understand that it's usually not personal.
Our secondary kids (we are a through school) would have to help the caretaker for a few lunchtimes, going round and fixing things, if they did something that could damage school property.

I'm not a fan of detentions. I find them quite pointless and oddly overused in the UK. (I went to school abroad, five different schools, and in the 13 years I never met anyone having had a detention. It just wasn't done...or needed.)

I just follow policy - damage to property is 90m it’s not a rule I created for them.

I don’t actually teach them. I just really really feel like it’s fine to behave like that if it’s their only release and I know it’s not me personally but there’s been so many instances whereby I issue the sanction and it’s removed or the student just does it again.

i know teaching isn’t a walk in the park and I love my job 90 % of the time but so many times things become so personal. For example I’ve been told I’m a c* or a complete a**hole or things of thr such like. Or I’m just generally being given verbal tirade by them.

I guess what would be good is slt support, or even the hod agreeing that students can’t keep doing this. I’ve found it doesn’t happen much to other staff but it’s okay to do it to the new teacher.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 03/05/2022 18:19

This is not the school for you.

Please
or

cherrypiepie · 03/05/2022 18:28

Honestly it really depends on the student, what their background is and the school- I know it's frustrating. It happens all the time but now i just roll my eyes and crack on! The detention won't have made and impact on a very challenging student that's quite esteem behaviour abs is possible part of a bigger problem. If they were sent home early that a fixed term exclusion so more serious consequence than a detentions

As you say you are a new teacher - does that mean new to the school? It does take a while to settle in to a school and learn the quirks- id say a least a year or so! Can you reflect and then just think that you won't tackle that student again.

You sometimes have to pick you battles both with students and with the decision makers. Maybe this is not the right school for you and there is nothing wrong if that is the case. Hopefully this will help put it perspective for you.

Please
or

Snowflakewater · 03/05/2022 20:09

cherrypiepie · 03/05/2022 18:28

Honestly it really depends on the student, what their background is and the school- I know it's frustrating. It happens all the time but now i just roll my eyes and crack on! The detention won't have made and impact on a very challenging student that's quite esteem behaviour abs is possible part of a bigger problem. If they were sent home early that a fixed term exclusion so more serious consequence than a detentions

As you say you are a new teacher - does that mean new to the school? It does take a while to settle in to a school and learn the quirks- id say a least a year or so! Can you reflect and then just think that you won't tackle that student again.

You sometimes have to pick you battles both with students and with the decision makers. Maybe this is not the right school for you and there is nothing wrong if that is the case. Hopefully this will help put it perspective for you.

I feel I haven’t settled at all. It’s just not been an environment I’ve felt happy. The support for me just never seemed like it was there. It was just really like some people were part of the paintwork and know the kids so they never push with them. Whereas with me it’s been non stop and I’ve taken it so much I don’t really want to anymore.

i think the school is not a good fit for me either. I could do worse but I also know there is better out there. It’s just a case of finding what fits me I suppose

OP's posts:
Please
or

cherrypiepie · 03/05/2022 21:12

Things like this can really get to you if you haven't settled and feel unsupported. It's awful and so many have been there including me at times and numerous colleagues i have worked with. You start to feel as if people are being obstructive.

Try not to take it personally which is easier said than done. Hope you find something which is a better fit and in the mean time try and cut you cloth according the the amount of energy you are prepared to extend.

Flowers for you op (maybe Ginwould be better)

Please
or

Snowflakewater · 03/05/2022 21:23

MrsHamlet · 03/05/2022 18:19

This is not the school for you.

I know, I just took what I could at the time which was a huge mistake.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Snowflakewater · 03/05/2022 21:30

cherrypiepie · 03/05/2022 21:12

Things like this can really get to you if you haven't settled and feel unsupported. It's awful and so many have been there including me at times and numerous colleagues i have worked with. You start to feel as if people are being obstructive.

Try not to take it personally which is easier said than done. Hope you find something which is a better fit and in the mean time try and cut you cloth according the the amount of energy you are prepared to extend.

Flowers for you op (maybe Ginwould be better)

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words.

Im a really strong person but I just don’t feel it since I’ve been here. It just shouldn’t be the students word is taken over mine. Also they’ll rope their teachers into talking to me and someone will come along saying “so and so is experiencing x right now. They didn’t mean it.”

Which i empathise with. But the constant asking me to change things or hearing “ were just removing said sanction” or the student saying “didn’t mean it anyways”

I love teaching. I also really appreciate the kids who try in my lesson and haven’t been vile. But as a human I’m not strong enough to keep being made to feel like I’m wrong or like it’s my word against theirs.

sorry I just ranted.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.