Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Headteacher told me that my workload is justifiable when I made a complaint.

TheTeachingBlog · 15/02/2022 22:41

Last year I was made to work with a teacher who wasn’t happy being moved to a different KS and so she wouldn’t do any planning, I carried majority of the work load; planning events and trips and also arranging equipment before any lessons. Last year I lost my Mum and Grandad due to covid, despite all that, I carried on working so that the children weren’t affected at school. This year I am partnered with an SLT, so far this year she has only planned 6 Science lessons which she downloaded off Twinkl, every other lesson has been planned by myself. I spoke to the Deputy about it who ranted about her but did nothing, I then spoke to my Line manager who also did nothing, I then spoke to the headteacher whose response was ‘well I’ve worked in schools in the past where they’ve been one form entries and all the planning had to be done by yourself’ well why am I working here then? Shouldn’t I go and work at a one form entry? Atleast I won’t be organising resources for double the amount of children and I won’t have someone coming up to me at 8 in the morning to ask me to prepare their Math challenges. We haven’t ever had the union get involved at our school as this just isn’t something that the staff do in our school. What are your thoughts? What should I do? I’m buried in work load and really struggling at the moment.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mumwithbaggage · 15/02/2022 23:00

Left my UPS plus 2 TLRs job at Christmas - bit poor just now but couldn't be happier. I didn't even work in a toxic school, just one where I taught 3 year groups. Utterly knackering. Good luck x

Please
or

2reefsin30knots · 16/02/2022 06:11

Why don't you just stop doing it? Keep your planning on your own computer and don't make resources for the other class.

When it is raised, make your points about lack of reciprocation.

Please
or

careerchange456 · 16/02/2022 06:59

The thing is two form entry shared planning only works if you are both sharing. Your partner isn't so you stop sharing. When she comes in asking for something, you just smile and say 'No sorry, I don't have it for your class.' Then walk out and go to the loo if you need to.

If you're not getting the benefits of working in a two form entry, you either have to suck it up and carry on or you have to stop preparing for the other person. Make the change after half term and just don't have anything ready for her.

Please
or

LolaSmiles · 16/02/2022 08:51

I worked in an arrangement like this. I provided detailed schemes of work and they provided assorted things they'd downloaded off various resource sites. They also had the nerve to complain that I hadn't provided all the SEN differentiation for their class too.

I like careerchange's suggestion and wish I'd don't that sooner instead of burning out and having my confidence smashed.

Please
or

Sherrystrull · 16/02/2022 20:45

I've been there. You need to move schools for your own mental health. Good luck.

Please
or

lanthanum · 19/02/2022 11:19

You could try pointing out that if you end up off sick from the stress, or if you move at Easter, they'll not only have to find supply to cover your class, but they'll also have to do something about the planning. It's in their interests to get things sorted before they lose you, not after.

Please
or

MsGoodenough · 19/02/2022 20:29

Stop planning for the other teacher and get your union involved. What's the point of paying Union dues every month if you don't call on them to help you? Schools who wish to exploit their staff rely on staff feeling it's 'not the done thing'.

Please
or

lanthanum · 19/02/2022 21:02

Yes - in fact, what you should do is get your union rep to make the point I suggested.

Please
or

Lilac57 · 20/02/2022 20:24

There’s zero obligation for you to prepare anything for someone else’s class, so stop doing it. You’re being treated like a doormat.

Please
or

NCTDN · 22/02/2022 22:21

Shocking, but sadly not a surprise. Get out!!

Please
or

thebookeatinggirl · 23/02/2022 08:25

Just plan for the lessons you teach on the days you work in school. How does your PPA work? Are you just given the percentage of time for the hours you work, or additional time to cover the extra lessons for the time you aren't teaching?

Please
or

thebookeatinggirl · 23/02/2022 08:56

Ah.. sorry, just realised it's 2FE and you work full time. That's crap. If you;'re brave enough, stop sharing.

Please
or

Somosagirl · 23/02/2022 20:19

Let the other teacher know that this is going to stop from now on. Just stop doing it. Then find another job and leave.

They cannot formally pull you up on this.

Start talking to your union...the culture of non union support at your school is the reason why it's become so toxic! Your headteacher is enabling the issues.

Try and leave after Easter...the they will learn their lesson!

Please
or

DrMadelineMaxwell · 01/03/2022 19:55

I've also worked with a partner teacher who didn't plan, and wanted to lean on me at every step, using my planning and 'borrowing' my resources to copy them for their class. Even though in school it was the done thing to have a planning meeting weekly, they always had an excuse of why they didn't stay.

I unshared my plans with them so they couldn't use them. They had access to long and medium term school plans, but short term plans and lesson resources, I planned for my class. If you use your PPA and your time to only plan for your class, then it might be more work than planning half of the lessons for two classes, but at least you won't be feeling put upon. And if your HT asks, frame it in the same way it was put to you - you are doing all the planning, but only for your own class.

Please
or

DrMadelineMaxwell · 01/03/2022 20:04

Oh and I'm SLT and wouldn't use it as an excuse not to plan or to pull my fair share!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.