Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How much time out of class for interventions?

RoyTroyAndChris · 15/01/2022 09:18

We've got some pupils missing a quarter of their Foundation subject lessons due to the number of interventions they are having. This means they are not with the majority of their peers for that time, and they are not getting a broad and balanced curriculum. Their teacher is a difficult character at best - she'll be quite happy with not having them in her room.

I can't find anything online (EEF etc) to say this is not ideal, yet every cell of me is screaming this is a bad idea.

Can anybody point me towards some research? I'm finding it hard to formulate a discussion point with the Head, who will herself not want to hear this, I'm sure!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chrestomanci3 · 17/01/2022 17:36

Interesting point and I'd like to know what others think too. We have similar, but some external support (such as speech & language) is run externally and is timetabled in core subjects. Often the children that need the interventions are the ones that really need to be present in class. We're also finding that other interventions are not happening at the moment because of staffing issues - the staff may be in, but are having to cover for other colleagues, so everyone is missing out on something.

Please
or

mrsnw · 17/01/2022 18:24

One group from a year one class is out doing maths practically all day with class teacher, TA and then PP teacher. If they are out during a foundation subject I initial the top of the work with the teachers name that they are working with. I cannot keep track of where some of them are on some days. I feel your suffering!

Please
or

RoyTroyAndChris · 18/01/2022 20:53

It's interesting that this seems to be a common-ish problem.

Thank goodness the government's cunning catch-up programme is pretty much done withe because trying to staff, and find room for, those sessions was so stressful.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?