Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Am I missing something

Randomdogbite · 30/12/2021 10:07

I’m a new teacher doing my first ECT year in a school. I’m happy in the class and enjoying the role, I started in September at a training day and the next day the pupils were in so I hit the ground running and haven’t stopped since. I’ve had no formal induction just a website to do health and safety training etc I have drop ins most weeks for 10-15 mins and get positive feedback. I feel like I’m pretending at being a teacher and I’m missing something vital, sometimes people mention policies etc on here and I then try and find my school one as it’s never been mentioned to me by the school even something really obvious. I’m finding it a bit stressful but whenever I say anything they just say I’m doing really well. Everyone is obviously so busy and stressed that I don’t want to be needy but can’t relax into the role feeling like this either. Any advice? Or things you think I really need to understand and familiarise myself with?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Heshcher · 30/12/2021 10:58

The child protection policy is something you should be familiar with. If the school is quite relaxed about policies, that might be a good thing. Is it a small primary by any chance?

Please
or

Randomdogbite · 30/12/2021 13:21

Hi, thanks, I have done the recommended training for CP and have had support when attending a core meeting. Maybe I am just overthinking everything. It’s actually a large school but very divided into separate departments as it’s an all through.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 30/12/2021 14:41

As an ECT, you should have a mentor who meets with you every week and carries out a developmental observation once per half term. There should also be a professional mentor in school who writes your termly assessment and oversees the provision for ECTs. You should have had a review with the professional mentor before Christmas and the first review should have been completed and sent to the appropriate body. You should also be following the ECF programme. Are these things happening? If not, you need to raise this with the school or appropriate body (contact the LA if you don't know who the appropriate body is).

It's natural to feel like we are 'pretending' at first or may be 'found out'. I am taking another promotion after Christmas and although I know I can do the job, I still suffer with imposter syndrome.

Please do check that the provision I have mentioned is in place and you have been registered for induction as that is vital!

Please
or

junebirthdaygirl · 02/01/2022 21:57

Most of the main policies for schools are on their website so could check out the ones there.
Sounds like you are doing great and if a school are not breathing down your neck every minute all the better.

Please
or

GrammarTeacher · 03/01/2022 06:45

There's a whole ECT programme now. And you have a reduced timetable for two years to cover it. Who is your ECT mentor and are you meeting them weekly. Have you been doing the programme? Most are provided online I believe (no ECTs in my department).
As you've described this doesn't sound right at all.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?