Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone left teaching??

Tootirred · 12/12/2021 00:26

Anyone left teaching? Or thinking of leaving?
What did you do after? What is there to do?
Especially if you only have a teaching degree.

OP's posts:
Please
or

southchinasea · 12/12/2021 21:55

I left in the summer, after teaching Early years and Key stage 1 for 25 years. Still love teaching and working with children and families but just got fed up with school politics and the workload/ expectations.

I am now tutoring from home and really enjoying it. Working with children who need a little extra support with focus/ catching up after lockdown/ confidence boosting etc. I am loving being able to do what each child needs and hopefully make a bit of a difference. It's not a full time salary but solid part time and for actual part time hours. Could be supplemented by some tutoring work in schools too (NTP through agencies) but for now I prefer to work for myself.

Please
or

Alysskea · 13/12/2021 00:37

I left May 2020 to work in children and young peoples mental health. As a teacher you have skills in supporting wellbeing so roles like this are appropriate. You will have to take a pay cut most likely, so it depends on your circumstances. It was definitely the right decision for me.

Please
or

picklespark · 16/12/2021 09:11

I work for the Civil Service as a policy professional. I love it and get to use a lot of my skills. Barely took a pay cut and it has changed my life. No longer need all those long holidays either.

They have loads of jobs - areas like policy are ideal for teachers as we are used to excellent written communication, dealing with stakeholders, leading and motivating teams, delivering work at pace and great attention to detail. And that’s just a few examples of your transferable skills.

For most policy roles it doesn’t matter what degree you have. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, OP. I’ve never looked back.

Please
or

Meandmini3 · 16/12/2021 22:31

I’m planning my exit at the end of the school year. There’s a great Facebook group called exit the classroom and thrive.

Please
or

Mumwithbaggage · 20/12/2021 12:15

I left on Friday! Will work out what to do next when I've done my Christmas shopping and restored my house to some kind of order.

Please
or

HamCob · 20/12/2021 23:10

I left temporarily 2 years ago. Worked for Twinkl as a content writer working from home for a while. Found that I really missed being part of a school community. Took on long term and day to day supply then ended up back in a permanent post at a school I love.

Please
or

becca3210 · 26/12/2021 18:04

I trained to become a dyslexia assessor. Two year part time course. I love my job now.

Please
or

CaptainChannel · 26/12/2021 18:47

I just left. I've started a job as a qualifications assessor for a company that delivers professional qualifications.
I'm not saying I'll never teach again but for now it's working for me and my family.

Please
or

Disabrie22 · 29/12/2021 00:28

Becca - can you please tell me about your job as a dyslexia assessor?

Please
or

Howeverdoyouneedme · 31/12/2021 16:24

Also interested in Dyslexia assessor!

Please
or

becca3210 · 31/12/2021 18:26

I did a postgraduate certificate and then diploma both one year part time. I taught part time whilst training. I went through dyslexia action though quite a lot of universities do courses in specific learning difficulties. Costs quite a lot initially as the tests and training are expensive but once you qualify you can make the costs back. Happy to answer any other questions.

Please
or

twolittleboysonetiredmum · 02/01/2022 20:03

Really interested in this - where did you see the job advertised?

Please
or

becca3210 · 03/01/2022 06:56

If this was to me - most dyslexia assessors are self employed. Once you have the training and the assessment kit you can start. Some assessors work for assessment centres such as the Helen Arkell centre.

Please
or

StrongTea22 · 03/01/2022 15:38

I am a new teacher, just qualified and work in adult education.

I am 42 and have been contracted to accredited and non accredited hours.

The issue so have is with my work place saying we ‘owe hours’

Essentially I am contracted to 3.25 hours of which I should teach 2.30

However, they have given me a 2 hour lesson which only attracts 30 minutes PPA time.

They are saying I owe the remainder, but I don’t think they can ask for PPA time back can they?

I’m on an annualised hours contract I think, I’m just finding it hard as a part timer to say no to things outside of my working week And feeling like this changes the power dynamic even further with my employers

Please
or

StrongTea22 · 03/01/2022 15:39

Posted in the wrong place. Sorry!

Please
or

Helbelle17 · 04/01/2022 22:52

I left in May 2021, I didn't go back after mat leave. I've been qualified for 20 years and taught in secondary schools, but also spent a few years running a language business and doing primary languages.
I found I just couldn't go back last year due to the covid situation. I left with no job to go to, but found 2 jobs that suit me very well. I would say keep an open mind and apply for everything that you like the look of. I am now an associate lecturer for 2 days a week and work 3 mornings a week as a baby ballet teacher (this is very outing!), so I still get to teach. I didn't think I would get either job, but I really enjoy both of them and it's definitely been worth making the change.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.