Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ill... but not enough to call in sick?

missbunnyrabbit · 28/11/2021 21:29

Work up on Saturday with constant sneezing and runny nose. Woke up today feeling ROUGH - still sneezing and runny nose, but aching all over, shivering, skin sensitive and tingling, head hurting, slightly dizzy when I move. Took lft and negative, so just a standard cold.

I'm going in tomorrow because I cannot bear calling in sick unless I'm literally being sick or fainting or with diarrhea. I have dragged myself in in the past feeling even worse.

Reading that back, sounds like I'm boasting about my dedication to work or something, but I'm not .. actually just despairing at how I feel I can't call in sick unless I am nearly dying. I feel it's really frowned upon and it has such an impact on everyone else.

Anyone else feel the same?
Dreading the thought of trying to manage my class tomorrow feeling so rubbish.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MsGoodenough · 28/11/2021 21:34

I used to feel the same as you. But I have just had two days off for something similar to what you describe. I just couldn't do it any more. I have been in bed most of the weekend as well so even Thursday and Friday off wasn't enough to shake it. I'm borderline about going in tomorrow as well, and feel wretchedly guilty and stressed about cover work as well. It doesn't sound like you're well enough to go in Flowers

Please
or

hallamoo · 28/11/2021 21:40

Shivering? Have you got a temp? Sounds like you need a PCR. LFT's aren't worth the cardboard they come in.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 28/11/2021 22:02

Yes people will be annoyed at picking up extra work. Our cover supervisors moan like hell. But a) that's their job and b) you'll end up taking more time off if you're not well. And your tolerance to poor behaviour will be lower, and we all know where that ends.

Please
or

Mykittensaremyfriends · 28/11/2021 22:20

Agree with @hallamoo you need a PCR test as the symptoms you describe could definitely be Covid despite a negative lateral flow - they can take days to pick up a positive case especially when you've started with symptoms. Speaking from experience

Please
or

OrangeSnorkel · 28/11/2021 22:23

I felt similar. Have had on and off horrible colds since the start of October. Then a stomach bug during half term. Then another long cold since. Was feeling miserable and run down. Waking up every day thinking when will I ever feel ok. I'm usually a positive person.

I woke up yet again with a sore throat on Thursday and now have covid and I'm not going to lie, I was relived. I thought it was just another cold and I would have to keep battling on. But I can have time to recover properly. I am jabbed and it is fairly mild.

I feel guilty about cover, who I may have spread it to and my family. But I think it takes a desperate, run down person to be sort of glad the dreaded disease we have all been trying to avoid means it is now ok to have time off.

Please
or

OrangeSnorkel · 28/11/2021 22:24

Also to add - get a PCR and have time off whether it is covid or not. Carrying on and running yourself to the ground is not healthy.

Please
or

EllieNBeeb · 29/11/2021 10:44

Yeah, honestly I get pretty irritated when coworkers come in ill. I really don't want your cold.

Please
or

Yellowmellow2 · 07/12/2021 19:20

If you’re unwell with the systems you’ve listed, then you need to get a PCR. LF tests don’t always pick up COVID.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.