Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

New ASSISTANT SENDCO

Ashlee92 · 07/11/2021 18:52

Hello!

I started a new job last week in a secondary after 11 years in hospitality & under the same employer (management position) - I was shocked to have been offered an interview let alone the job, but was so proud of myself. Ready for a new challenge ...

I'm in a office based role essentially, in an office with the deputy head/SendCo & LSG. I did two days last week before the weekend and ready to start a new week. But, I found last week I was left on my own a lot with nothing to do. I feel like I'm not being trained at all. Is this normal?

I'd be set the odd task - but even then it wasn't checked over and no feedback given? I feel like I'm just floating along but I get worried Incase they think I'm not picking stuff up - but, being that I'm handling a lot of sensitive and confidential content, I don't want to just assume anything. Or make mistakes - it's a lot of software and procedures that I've no experience of. Which they know...

Like even producing emails or letters to parents - I haven't been shown the normal format for this - so I am winging it in the most professional way I know.
On my second morning, the receptionist put two parents through to me - I had no idea how to handle or answer any of their queries, as I had no background knowledge of the child of topic - and don't know the correct protocols yet. One of which was a unhappy parent about a exclusion - I had no idea What to say?! I just turned on my customer service voice and took notes but felt like a rambling idiot.

Is this normal? Should I just keep going at their pace? And await training when it does happen? Likely to be in drips and drabs as they're often in meetings or lessons?
Was I wrong to expect to be shadowed?

Just feeling a little useless. In saying that - I am also SO hard on myself - I suffer horrendously from anxiety, to the point it can be quiet debilitating - so it took a lot for me to make the career change. And I think because I'm SO out of my comfort zone I'm putting extra pressure on myself; when realistically it's been 2 days??!

I'm so scared every day going in incase I fail at something. Schools seem like such professional, high ball environments it sort of makes you feel you need to be the best of the best...

Everyone I had met has been lovely - and very welcoming which has been nice but I don't feel like I've settled in yet.

OP's posts:
Please
or

2reefsin30knots · 08/11/2021 05:51

Are you the assistant SENCO or the SENCO's assistant (PA)?

Either way, you need to talk to the SENCO. They may have had a crazy week last week and just not had time to really get round to you!

Please
or

Howshouldibehave · 13/11/2021 08:53

@2reefsin30knots

Are you the assistant SENCO or the SENCO's assistant (PA)?

Either way, you need to talk to the SENCO. They may have had a crazy week last week and just not had time to really get round to you!

This!

Are you a teacher?

If you’re admin, I would have taken the calls, taken a history and said you’d pass the info on and get the senco to contact them.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.