Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Informal support plan

MoanaIly · 16/10/2021 22:25

Hi everyone I could really do with some serious advice.
I have been under a lot of pressure lately with my teaching job .I work part time and I have been facing serious stress lately. The school I'm in have put me on a support plan from a MAT review. I have also been feeling pushed out lately as they pile a lot of workload on me on my last working day of the week and they also drop short deadlines to make me feel anxious. I had deputy headteacher in my room for an hour and a half for 2 weeks. All was going ok and I had areas to work on .. suddenly been told to go to heads office after 2 weeks and told I am not making progress and could be facing capability if I don't improve. Some of the notes recorded from the feedback are not accurate about my lessons and I feel like my teaching career may he jeopardized. Due to not having my support plan not provided the head teacher is now saying I have another two weeks of support plan starting again. I feel devastated anxious and upset. I've never had this happen to me before and fearing what to do . I have had advice from union and I feel scared. Part of me wants to go back to prove I am a good teacher but the other part feels like they are out to push me out so will look at anything to put me on capability! Very devastated

OP's posts:
Please
or

Newrumpus · 16/10/2021 23:19

Is your school part of a MAT? Is your school rated as good? Have you had a copy of the support plan? If so which targets have you so far achieved and what is still to be achieved?is the support they have promised being provided?

Please
or

MoanaIly · 17/10/2021 01:05

I didn't have a copy of the support plan and the observer gave brief feedback and doesn't reflect what has been recorded on the outcome of the action plan. I am just disgusted and really upset about it all. The school Requires Improvement and due ofsted but I should've been notified I'm not making the progress than coming in and pretending to team teach but failing me. It also wasn't a team teach it was more me teaching and just being set to fail as the notes reflect what I didn't do.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MoanaIly · 17/10/2021 01:06

School is part of MAT

OP's posts:
Please
or

MoanaIly · 17/10/2021 01:11

After the meeting I was provided with the action plan and been told they will review it again as I wasn't provided with it.
Now I'm more anxious as some of the feedback written was not accurate so I don't trust if they are coming in to get more evidence of anything little to add to their portfolio of notes to get rid of me... maybe I am just being paranoid but I don't trust their motive
The whole feedback was negative and no where near supportive. Worked there for 10 years and a new headship so I feel a bit devastated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

monkeysox · 17/10/2021 09:04

Get on to union rep asap

Please
or

Newrumpus · 17/10/2021 15:16

If you wish to fight this to could ask why huge feedback contradicts what you were told in the meeting; you could insist on having a copy of the plan and suggest your own strategies for meeting the targets such as observing colleagues, joint planning session with line manager etc. You could even ask if colleagues from a ‘better’ school within the MAT could advise you and your RI SLT to help you improve. Of course this will not make you popular. Another option is to go along with everything as enthusiastically and determinedly as you can. Repeatedly suggest how helpful the ‘support’ is. Request very specific targets which are demonstrable rather than vague and open to interpretation. When you get vague or impossible ones keep asking for clarification. When you have clear and precise targets you have a good chance of meeting them. The third option (and possibly the easiest) is to look for jobs in a better school. Do have any colleagues that you trust and who have been at the school a long time who might be able to advise you?

Please
or

MoanaIly · 17/10/2021 16:37

It's not only the support action plan. There is also other incidence that have happened. I'm very anxious whenever I go to work because I have sensed they are trying to drive me out. I have informed the union. I am meant to go in tomorrow to start the support plan again because they know they have screwed up by them not acting truly on the action plan.
I have spoken to a trusted staff member and other teacher friends and have been advised to look after my career and not continue there. I have a lot of sadness because I was there for 10 years. It's been a tough few days . Hopefully I come out of this in a positive light. Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or

Newrumpus · 17/10/2021 17:29

It is totally unfair and sounds like you are being scapegoated. I agree with your friends though. Get out and find a school that deserves you.

Please
or

MoanaIly · 17/10/2021 18:59

I'm usually a fighter and would want to prove them wrong by going in and teaching but due to the amount of stress they have put on me and the fact they have been recording notes about me seems they are planning to get me on to capability and need another two weeks of evidence. I am a good teacher and they haven't been able to criticize me in any way and they have now been given the opportunity through this support plan. Also the head is leaving soon so all seems very odd!

OP's posts:
Please
or

CheesecakeAddict · 18/10/2021 19:40

I would be going off on sick in your position and speaking to the union and potentially not going back at all.

Please
or

DeepaBeesKit · 18/10/2021 21:34

Involve the union. Ask the rep to attend the next meeting with you and for a copy of support plan and goals/targets to be met to be shared with union rep in advance. Insist union rep be copied on all emails and all communication to be in writing/or recorded.

Make everything specific in terms of targets and have it recorded clearly and witnessed by union rep.

Ask for union rep/a teacher from another school in MAT to witness observations etc.

When you say other incidences what do you mean? Things they are implying/making up or have there been real incidents? Serious ones? This may be where you have little defence.

Please
or

MoanaIly · 18/10/2021 22:01

So this is where they have piled on extra pressure on me compared to the other members of staff. Keeping tabs on what I have completed yet other members of staff have not completed the task and I have. I have experienced bullying in a subtle way but also have evidence through emails etc . I never did anything about it over fear but now I don't feel safe for them to observe me and find any excuse to push me towards capability. It has had a toll on my mental health . I don't want the staff to think I'm weak or I gave up from support plan. It's been an ongoing thing . They have never been able to criticise my marking books , professionalism, etc .

OP's posts:
Please
or

HTPri · 18/10/2021 23:31

@DeepaBeesKit

Involve the union. Ask the rep to attend the next meeting with you and for a copy of support plan and goals/targets to be met to be shared with union rep in advance. Insist union rep be copied on all emails and all communication to be in writing/or recorded.

Make everything specific in terms of targets and have it recorded clearly and witnessed by union rep.

Ask for union rep/a teacher from another school in MAT to witness observations etc.

When you say other incidences what do you mean? Things they are implying/making up or have there been real incidents? Serious ones? This may be where you have little defence.

Reps can only attend the meeting if it is deemed a ‘formal’ meeting and part of the process I would imagine from experience.
Please
or

echt · 19/10/2021 08:40

Anyone can have a friend at a meeting. I've had this shite before. They do it to intimidate. A friend can take notes, but not contribute to the discussion except to say: can I confirm you said this? They sooooooo hate this. :o

They have started action so it is not "informal". A support plan is part of a process, so it's not informal.

Go to the union and show how management have fucked this up.As a minimum they may have to start the procedure again.

Do not attend a meetings without another person. Do not read or respond to emails sent out after COB on a Friday. They do this to fuck up your weekend. If they want a meeting, write: I am taking advice and will get back you.

They will shit.

Please
or

HtPri · 19/10/2021 15:11

@echt

Anyone can have a friend at a meeting. I've had this shite before. They do it to intimidate. A friend can take notes, but not contribute to the discussion except to say: can I confirm you said this? They sooooooo hate this. :o

They have started action so it is not "informal". A support plan is part of a process, so it's not informal.

Go to the union and show how management have fucked this up.As a minimum they may have to start the procedure again.

Do not attend a meetings without another person. Do not read or respond to emails sent out after COB on a Friday. They do this to fuck up your weekend. If they want a meeting, write: I am taking advice and will get back you.

They will shit.

Unfortunately thats incorrect and completely depends on the individual school policy. Informal doesn’t mean nothing happens - action plans do for part of an informal process and no a ‘friend or colleague’ is not allowed to attend usually in these circumstances. This falls under the ‘right to be accompanied’ part of the process.

I’m not saying I agree with any of this - just outlining the process
Please
or

MoanaIly · 19/10/2021 15:53

So I was also told my the headteacher 'are you with a union? That's good because you will need one! I keep thinking about what happened over and over again . They have planned this against me . Notes about me starting September... way before the action plan! The headteacher sent an email say they will repeat the action plan and review next month.. I don't trust my career with them whatsoever. 10 years at this school and how disgusting for them to end it like this. They have driven many staff out , it was only a matter of time it was my turn!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.