Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How to get back into teaching

dufdha · 28/09/2021 21:21

I'm an NQT since January 2021. I worked for a few months on Supply as a teacher but haven't had a teaching position since May 21. I became pregnant and had horrific morning sickness and wasn't managing well travelling to different schools across the city where I live.
Since August I have been working from home (a role outside of the education sector) as I needed the money!
The baby is due in December, so will be on leave untill next September.
After this prolonged absence from the classroom, how can I plan my route to getting a school to take me on to do my NQT training?
I'm looking to get a HLTA or Level 3 teaching assistant role next September just to get my career going and build up a relationship with a school, but I'd honestly prefer to teach.
Would any of you suggest I go about it any differently?
I am fully aware that I should have delayed getting pregnant in order to focus on NQT year but we really wanted a child.
Any ideas/thoughts welcome.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AttaGirrrrl · 28/09/2021 21:40

I’d consider supply or getting a ‘cover supervisor’ type role rather than doing a HLTA course. You want teaching experience, not TA experience.

Please
or

Wondering1000 · 29/09/2021 20:20

I'd also avoid the TA experience. Supply might be a good route

Please
or

astuz · 30/09/2021 07:13

Sign up to some supply agencies, but specify only certain days eg. only Monday, Tuesday. You can then put your child into childcare for 2 days a week and hopefully get work then, but you also won't waste too much money if you don't get work on some days, unless you have grandparents who can provide free child care?

I should have delayed getting pregnant No!! You've done totally the right thing - never put off having children for the sake of a career/job. There's a time limit for being able to have children, there isn't for careers. I see far too many people delaying having children because of their job, then struggle with fertility issues when they finally get on with it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.