Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Unbiased take on this situation.

brownriceandpoptarts · 26/09/2021 08:34

In my heart of hearts I believe I know the answer to this, but I would welcome some unbiased opinions about my current situation.

10 years in teacher (career change, 8 years in sales/management prior) and I was looking enough to get an AHoD position as soon as I finished my NQT. Had a career break of 16mths after having multiples, came back (2019) as a classroom teacher as I was unsure of how I would cope with workload and children.

After a year at my current school the role of AHoD came up and I got it. Fast forward to this year and I feel ready for HoD. Applied for a job elsewhere and when asked for a reference my HT called me and asked me not to leave. Said they would match whatever I was offered in regard to salary, and said that there would be opportunities here for me. I ended up not loving the feel of the other school, and I guess I felt valued at my current place, so I stayed.

HoD job comes up at my current school - advertised internally only and I was the only person to apply, but only for 6 mths temp with a view to be made permanent. Asked for clarification on why this was the case given the back story with me trying to leave. Got told it was something the academy chain wanted, and it had also been the case for other leadership roles advertised internally, so I agreed as long as I could return to my substantive post should things go belly up.

Fast forward to now, in a meeting with my HT on Friday (at their request) they mentioned in passing that they thought it would be fairer to offer me an extension on the temp contract so I get a fair crack at the whip. They were then surprised that I didn't seem overly keen on the idea. The dept is big, we are a core subject so the idea of being HoD on a temporary basis up to GCSE season doesn't really appeal.

My gut tells me they are waiting for a new round of budgets to advertise externally.

I apologise for the long post but I would appreciate some outsider comments/takes.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Benvolio · 26/09/2021 22:57

I think your hunch is right. The school/trust are keeping their options open. Although they clearly do value you, they are not putting your interests ahead of the school’s, whatever they said before about opportunities.

Please
or

EllieNBeeb · 27/09/2021 10:27

At our independent, one year probation period, even on internal promotions, is standard. It's to make sure the person in the role is the right fit, and tbqh it's fairly necessary to see if you can handle the pressure of exam season in this role--youd be surprised, but a lot of people don't, particularly in core subjects/large departments, and quite often people decide to move back down from management because their joy is actually in teaching. It's a big commitment to make someone permanent in a HoD of a large department because if the wrong decision is made, the students are the ones who suffer. I'd take this extension and wait it out, the school acted in good faith matching the salary of the last role you were offered and did indeed present you the opportunity for growth. If things don't go your way, you can always move on from here.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.