Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Scared about my contract

Earlycareerteacherr · 16/07/2021 23:37

You’ll all have to excuse my sheer stupidity here. I was really sad as I had 3 job rejections and 4 application rejections over a space of 4 weeks and I finally found a job a was super excited for via an agency. So I applied for selected for interview and then got the job.
Today when I was checking over some papers to officially agree to the terms I’ve only just realised today I entered a fixed term contract. Basically, I thought that I was entering a permanent role as I was really struggling to get a job in general so panic was just really setting in

The agency didn’t really explain this well to me at all they just got me up to interview stage and then kind of dropped the whole thing. But today reading over my contract I saw it terminates next year.

As far as I’m aware I’m not covering a maternity position as the last person who left has moved to a new school. I’m just wondering why It wouldn’t be a permanent position. I feel so stupid now. I also don’t know if I can ask “would there be opportunities available in the department prior to the end of my contact or would I need to seek employment elsewhere”

Surely there’s no harm in asking or shall I ask the agency first? Or alternatively get on with it and if something is offered take it. In your experiences how do these things usually go

OP's posts:
Please
or

watingroom2 · 17/07/2021 00:06

I think lots of posts are 1 year now - and if you fit in with the school the post is often made permanent.. no harm in asking though.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 17/07/2021 06:23

We have two ECTs next year - one full time permanent and one fixed term for one year.

If the fixed term one looks like they'll be a good fit, we'll probably make it permanent about Easter time.

We often have fixed term posts for maternity but also for other things such as bereavement leave, or last minute gaps we can't fill.

Please
or

Dizzyhedgehog · 17/07/2021 06:31

Lots of contracts are fixed term initially. You could just ask about whether they are intending to make it permanent after that time.
I moved schools last year and my contract is two years fixed term and then becomes permanent (if both I and the school want it). It's something I asked about at the interview since I moved from a permanent position. I'm abroad, though, and teachers sometimes only want to stay for the two years.
Good luck with the new job.

Please
or

Hercisback · 17/07/2021 08:12

It's standard where I am to fixed term everyone for a year. Then offer permanent once you know they're good.

Please
or

Scarby9 · 17/07/2021 10:14

Round here it is very rare for there to be more than a one year contract for new teachers.
Last year, of 13 trainees with jobs, only 2 were permanent. Only 4 of the one-year contract people have had to look for another job this year. Only one of those has not yet found one (and she is very tied to a precise area).
If it's any consolation, I am WAY past ECT years but have been on a recurring one year contract for the past 7 years.

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 17/07/2021 12:06

Lots of schools offer 1 year contracts initially and they may well make it permanent if you are both happy.

It sounds like they needed someone late on in the year so that may be why.

My advice is go into your new job and really embrace it. Don't let the fixed term thing spoil your first year. Do you best, work hard, listen to your mentor and most of all - enjoy!!

Even if this school don't/can't make you permanent next year, there will be other opportunities and you will have 12 months experience.

Best of luck with your new job!

Please
or

ThanksItHasPockets · 17/07/2021 14:33

How long is the fixed term? One year has been typical for NQTs until now but several of my trainees have pushed for two-year fixed term in recognition of the longer ECF from September.

Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 17/07/2021 21:01

The contract is for the year:)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 17/07/2021 21:01

Thank you pumpkin pie I really appreciate the advice

OP's posts:
Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 17/07/2021 21:02

Hey scarby9 that does help me actually. It’s just the nerves now.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 17/07/2021 21:03

Thank you mrs hamlet. It helps to know that you know others are in a similar position. Would you say it’s worth an ask to the agency or HR about potential permanency or extensions to the contract

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 17/07/2021 21:20

At this point, no. We'll know about feb half term if we need the extra person. Focus on doing a good job for now.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.