Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Summer jobs?

Earlycareerteacherr · 13/07/2021 20:20

I’m a bit bored at the moment, I’ve read and annotated all the texts I need to for September to support mine and the students learning. I’ve read 2 books I wanted to. I’ve also done a bit of forward planning based on the schools SOW. I’m not sure what to do now. I have a lot of time on my hands.

I can’t seem to find anywhere to do a bit of tutoring either. I imagine it’s mega competitive too. Any ideas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 13/07/2021 21:02

Sleep.
Fill the freezer with meals for when you're too tired to cook.
Sleep.
Dentist/car service etc
Sleep

Please
or

LolaSmiles · 13/07/2021 21:06

My idea would be to enjoy your summer holiday. If you have a job fot September and are as prepared and as knowledgeable as you claim then enjoy the summer and stop stressing about teaching on Mumsnet.

Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 13/07/2021 21:42

Lola smiles.Just did some extra reading so I’m not going in clueless and I’m able to deliver lessons to a standard the school would want.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 13/07/2021 21:52

It's great that you want to be prepared for your first job and it sounds like you have made a good start!

My advice now:
Take time to enjoy your summer (it's a massive perk of the job!).
Read books, see friends/family, visit places if you can, relax, spend time doing nothing and enjoy the fresh air and (hopefully!) the sunshine.

Get your house in order.

Life admin -dentist/car service and MOT if required/organise your cupboards etc.

Either batch cook or compile a list of easy meals for when your shattered (NB things on toast definitely count as meals Grin).

Most of all, enjoy the time you have now.

Teaching is great but don't underestimate how tiring the Autumn/Winter term is!

Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 13/07/2021 21:59

Thanks pumpkinpie2016!! I’ll do some life admin for now I suppose. I looked into a bit of online tutoring from home. Is that okay to do? Or is it not allowed during summers?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 13/07/2021 22:00

Haha mrs hamlet yea I’m doing plenty of the “sleep” part😆

OP's posts:
Please
or

LolaSmiles · 13/07/2021 22:21

Then enjoy your summer and don't worry about September.

Please
or

Scarby9 · 13/07/2021 22:48

Are you sporty, OP?
Every year, some of our NQTs take summer jobs on sports activity camps, working with this company: uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=31c3741a871490c6&from=serp&prevUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.indeed.com%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3DTotal%2BSports%2BCoaching
There always seems to be a market for sports coaches, especially ones with QTS, the work is very flexible, and you meet lots of other young teachers.

Please
or

Earlycareerteacherr · 13/07/2021 23:44

Ooh thanks for that. Yes I love sport! I’ll look into this! Thanks scarby9!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 14/07/2021 06:40

You can do what you like in the holidays as long as it's not illegal or immoral.
Personally, I will be skipping out at midday and not doing anything til September.

Please
or

LolaSmiles · 14/07/2021 07:35

Same here MrsH. I've got some planning for a new area I'm working on, but otherwise I'll be enjoying time with my family, catching up with friends, doing things I enjoy and having a holiday.

Please
or

ThanksItHasPockets · 14/07/2021 08:58

If you don't have children of your own then the summer can be a bit of a yawning chasm.

A lot of (secondary, at least) schools are running summer schools this year. Ask your employer if they need anyone? My school is struggling to staff ours as the majority of us are parents of young children and would bite your hand off.

Please
or

LolaSmiles · 14/07/2021 09:20

If you don't have children of your own then the summer can be a bit of a yawning chasm
Really? I loved my summer holidays before having DC. I got on top of house maintenance, could go to the gym, see friends, see family, take my dogs out for nice long walks, sit and read, do some gardening, get planned for the next year, gut my classroom on the days we had site access. DH would take a couple of weeks leave and we would go on holiday.
Now I make a list for the summer holidays and will be happy if 25% of it gets done. Grin

Please
or

ThanksItHasPockets · 14/07/2021 09:45

Don't get me wrong, I loved my pre-children summers, but if you're at the beginning of your career and don't own your home or have a garden, and if you're at the very end of your student loan and you have a long way to go until your September payday, and if travel isn't an option because of the pandemic, and you are single, I can entirely see why someone in OP's position might be feeling a bit bored.

Please
or

ThanksItHasPockets · 14/07/2021 09:46

(sorry OP, I know I've made a lot of assumptions about your personal life there)

Please
or

Staffholidayclubrep · 14/07/2021 11:00

Personally, I am recharging my batteries, meeting friends, sorting out the garden, dentist, opticians and a bit of decorating ....

Camp Beaumont and all those sorts of places may still have vacancies. There isn't a huge amount of tutoring during the summer but I guess that depends upon subject and level.

Please
or

YippieKayakOtherBuckets · 14/07/2021 12:31

@LolaSmiles

If you don't have children of your own then the summer can be a bit of a yawning chasm
Really? I loved my summer holidays before having DC. I got on top of house maintenance, could go to the gym, see friends, see family, take my dogs out for nice long walks, sit and read, do some gardening, get planned for the next year, gut my classroom on the days we had site access. DH would take a couple of weeks leave and we would go on holiday.
Now I make a list for the summer holidays and will be happy if 25% of it gets done. Grin

Is that really what the summer before your NQT year looked like, Lola? Perhaps you were a career changer. I remember money being very very tight, and the absolute lifesaver of getting my first pay check at the end of August so that I could put the deposit down on my house share. My friends were either still studying and therefore doing summer internships, or had started their jobs and had no hope of booking annual leave in the summer holidays even if they had wanted to.

It was nice to be able to see friends in the evenings but the daytimes were very quiet, even with lots of reading and solo outings. I ended up moving back in with my parents for a chunk of the holidays and signing up with a temp agency.
Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 14/07/2021 14:19

Me too MrsH

May possibly plan my first couple of lessons if I haven't done them before I finish but that is it.

So looking forward to the summer!

Please
or

LolaSmiles · 14/07/2021 18:59

YippieKayakOtherBuckets
It was. I was a career changer and DP, now DH, was earning. It was also a reflection of my summer holidays pre-DC. We didn't have lavish holidays, and many of my interests aren't expensive, but I definitely made the most of having 6 weeks and no children.

My mentors were excellent, very supportive and also realistic with the advice they gave me about approaching training, my NQT year and my career. Lots of their advice and guidance has proven valuable over the years. They had a great way of putting everything into perspective.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 14/07/2021 20:59

The only yawning chasm in my childless life is that I'm not going to Azerbaijan in two weeks 😡
I've always loved my summers off :)

Please
or

VorpalSword · 15/07/2021 23:50

@MrsHamlet why were you going to Azerbaijan? I lived there for 5 years (in 2 stints) so always curious.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 16/07/2021 06:57

Because it's there and I've never been! The plan was Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. I'll do it one day.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.