Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

ECF

RainbowCookie7 · 20/06/2021 20:25

Is anyone acting as an induction tutor or mentor next year? How much time have you been allocated and who is delivering the programme?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Namechercanged · 20/06/2021 20:47

Yes. No extra time.

It's going to be interesting.

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 20/06/2021 20:49

I'm in a pilot area so have mentored an NQT through it this year and will continue to mentor them through the 2nd year.

I get one non-contact period per week for mentoring (secondary) and have been working through the program with my NQT.

It's been hard at times completing the ECF program on top of all of the usual things you do with an NQT that relates to the day to day job. I find as a mentor, you need to read the stuff first so that you can tweak it to your context.

There are online mentor sessions and online ECT sessions. Mentor ones are once a term approximately but the ECT ones are two per term (sometimes per half term!) and there is often a lot of pre reading for them.

I've enjoyed mentoring and don't mind putting the time in for my NQT as he's great but we both find the ECF adds to our workload and he feels he gets more out of the cpd we do in school. Our school has an excellent cpd program for all though!

I'm hopeful that it will be a bit easier doing the ECF in the 2nd year as we won't be focused on meeting the standards as he will have passed his NQT year but I gather this will not be the case going forward.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 21/06/2021 07:11

Me. Technically I'm the induction tutor but I'll be doing a lot of the mentoring to try to reduce the burden on the subject mentors.
Annoyingly, we've heard diddly squat from the local provider who are using Teach First so I've gathered all the TF stuff to look through.
It looks hugely burdensome.

Please
or

RainbowCookie7 · 21/06/2021 14:57

Yes!! That's what I'm worried about and once the timetable is finalised there won't be any movement for time allowances. Lack of information leads to me panic planning and low quality delivery.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 21/06/2021 20:18

I have whole school responsibility so I have more frees anyway. I've asked for subject mentors to get one extra (the funding comes nowhere close to paying for it) but the timetabler won't guarantee they'll get it at the same time as their mentee. It's also not guaranteed that I will get one in common with both ECTs.
At the moment my plan is to divvy up the sessions so the subject mentors take a third and I do the rest. It not what the guidance says but it'll work for us, I think.

Please
or

niclw · 21/06/2021 22:19

I'm going to be a mentor from September. I started to freak out about the workload today as I did the pre- 1st meeting training and saw the number of training sessions that I am expected to participate in. I'm the head of subject for a small department with a current NQT who has had a messed up training and NQT year plus an ECT. I only recently got the job and have a huge mess to sort out. On top of this I'm a single parent to a toddler. I'm really worried because I don't see how I can do all the work in one extra free a week assuming that I actually get allocated it. I'm beginning to regret not pushing for the experienced part time candidate but she was not good enough.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 22/06/2021 06:49

We have had no training at all yet and my timetable means that any training needed in school time in September is likely to be rejected out of hand.
Our hub is too busy designing itself a logo and sorting jobs for the boys to bother itself with the likes of us.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.