Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Whole Day Teaching Interviews, a red flag?

Srirachagoddess · 25/05/2021 14:15

What’s your opinion on whole day teaching interviews? Am I dramatic for thinking it’s unreasonable to expect people to take an entire day off work for the possibility of securing a job? One of my first teaching interviews was supposed to last a whole day, but when I wasn’t successful after the lesson observation they pulled me out of a room with the other candidates, told me I wasn’t successful and then I had to go back in the room and collect all my things in front of all the other candidates. It was soul-destroying. I comforted myself with the fact that’s probably not a school I want to work at anyways, doesn’t seem they care much about teacher wellbeing. I’ve been told today that I have been selected for a whole day interview on Friday and instead of being excited I just feel dread. Just curious what other peoples opinions are on whole day interviews, myself I much prefer a slot to teach and do the interview portion and to just get it over with.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HercwasanEnemyofEducation · 25/05/2021 14:25

This is normal in teaching.

Please
or

Clarabellawilliamson · 25/05/2021 15:11

I would always expect a whole day to be honest, sometimes you might get to finish a bit early.

I'm sorry that you had that experience, that wasn't great management on their part, a simple "bring all your stuff with you" saves that having to go back in aspect.

Good luck for this one 🤞

Please
or

Babymeanswashing · 25/05/2021 15:18

It’s normal for it to last a whole day but your experience is crushing and it’s brutal. I think most of us have been there at least once!

Please
or

Scarby9 · 25/05/2021 15:44

Two recent jobs near me, open to new teachers, lasted 1.5 days. Half day of school tour and lesson obs. Some people cut that night.
Then a day of planning task, school council and interview.
Back in the day (I am old), even HT interviews only took you out of school for half a day. Now we are in a position of worrying about trainees missing too many days of placement if they have eg. three interviews, which is below the average in our area.

Please
or

CarrieBlue · 25/05/2021 16:43

I’ve never had an interview that wasn’t a whole day one

Please
or

Radagast · 25/05/2021 16:59

I've been told along with other candidates that I wouldn't be progressing to the next stage, whilst in with all the candidates, after having an awkward lunch all together. Whole day is standard practise unless you are unsuccessful in the morning.

Please
or

Sadie687 · 25/05/2021 17:03

I’m glad I saw this post as I didn’t realise that a whole day was standard as I am an NQT/ECT.

I’ve been interviewing recently and it’s only been a few hours but I imagine that’s due to covid.

What happens when you are there all day for an interview?

Please
or

Radagast · 25/05/2021 17:20

Tour of the school, awkward break time meet of the department, sitting around for a while in the staffroom, student council interview, interview lesson which seems to be an hour now as standard, possible data task, lunch then interview.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 25/05/2021 17:24

What happens when you are there all day for an interview?
You sit around awkwardly making small talk...

Please
or

blackbettybramblejam · 25/05/2021 18:07

Oh god! I have a half day interview coming up and that sounds excruciating! I’ve had to take half a day off work (unpaid) to attend and I’m already panicking about how long it is!

Please
or

Sadie687 · 25/05/2021 18:43

Thank you @Radagast! A lot longer process than I have been through recently. I hope to get more interviews but will be intense going through all that.

@MrsHamlet - oh goodness, I don’t think my small talk can last for that long Confused. I’ve got feedback that I’ve come across really well at interviews though only because I’ve had a short time to maintain the facade.

Please
or

flyingtartar · 25/05/2021 19:24

The whole thing is pretty awful. I've been asked to leave at lunchtime and told 'get all your stuff.' It was for a middle leadership role and we had been prepping PowerPoints so there were loads of papers to gather up. So awkward. I feel there has to be a better way but I don't know what it would be. I do feel some of the day is pretty pointless - the student panel, the informal staff panel, the tour...

Please
or

Srirachagoddess · 25/05/2021 20:14

I think it depends on your area. I’m quite surprised people are saying it’s standard as I’ve had about 7 interviews ( PRE-covid) and 6 of the 7 were half day affairs or shorter (20 minute lesson than about 30-40 minute interview). My interviews were in two different parts of the country too, West Yorkshire and Warwickshire, so no clue why I seem to get much more half day interviews? Best of luck with your interviews, it’ll probably take a few tries but I’m sure you’ll find something Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Srirachagoddess · 25/05/2021 20:16

That does sound awful, glad it’s not just me. It was my very first interview though and it really shook my confidence. Surely there is a more sensitive way of rejecting people?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 25/05/2021 20:19

We do:

• a tour
  • a lesson
  • a pupil panel
  • coffee with the dept
  • interview

We might do a cut part way through the day but it depends on how many we're seeing. I'd take some marking 😂
Please
or

Srirachagoddess · 25/05/2021 20:20

Thanks for reassuring me everyone. Strange that my experience has been so different from everyone else it seems. I am in primary though? Could it be high school teaching interviews are longer? I’ve taught in both Leeds and Warwickshire council and only had one whole day interview out of about 7. That’s not including interviews during this pandemic.

OP's posts:
Please
or

year5teacher · 25/05/2021 21:13

Mine was whole day - an intro talk, would normally have a tour but it was RIGHT before lockdown #1 and loads of kids were going home ill so it was carnage. Then we had our teaching task and a cut was made halfway through the day. After that, we had lunch and then read an unseen book to a group of children/asked them questions on it - THEN finally had the interview! I was there from 7:45-5:30. 😴
Luckily they offered me the job on the spot which made up for it!

Please
or

StaffRepFeistyClub · 26/05/2021 07:42

Secondary - standard teaching/HoD

• tour
  • teach
  • coffee with department
  • main interview
  • safeguarding pastoral interview
  • lunch with HoD

You will be with us for a good part of the day. Between a 9.30am start and chucked off site by 2.
Please
or

ValancyRedfern · 26/05/2021 13:12

Whole day is standard. All interviews I've had have been all day. Being let go at lunchtime in front of everyone else is brutal.

Please
or

Freeekedout · 26/05/2021 22:54

Are candidates not encouraged to visit the school before applying? Surely that would save time on the day. I don't think I'd want to apply to a school that I hadn't seen!

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 27/05/2021 18:26

Whole day is standard in my experience. When I got my current job, we had to arrive at 8am.

Then there was:
Meeting with HoD/Head to do introduction to the school.
Tour
Full hour lesson observation
Written task.
Lunch (while 2nd shortlisting was done)
Then formal interviews.
Asked to wait after interview and was then offered the job.
I left the school at about 4pm so a long, fairly intense day but I've been there for 5 happy years so far!

Please
or

Babymeanswashing · 27/05/2021 18:30

@Freeekedout

Are candidates not encouraged to visit the school before applying? Surely that would save time on the day. I don't think I'd want to apply to a school that I hadn't seen!

Are you a student? Visits were all the rage a few years ago, it seems to have died down now. I’ve never liked them, mainly because they put people who can’t visit at a disadvantage and you get all the info on the day of the interview anyway.
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 27/05/2021 18:41

We don't allow pre-application visits - it's too much hassle.

Please
or

BabyYoda9 · 27/05/2021 20:04

Visits are definitely harder to organise due to covid. At my last interview I was criticised for not attending one of their pre-application optional tours. I didn't attend because I could not have physically got to the school on time because we had rearranged start/end times of the school day and was too conscious off the fact that we had soooo many staff off isolating at that point it would have been difficult to get covered without feeding the rumour mill... My current school did not allow any pre-application visits.

Please
or

HopeValley · 27/05/2021 20:18

@Srirachagoddess

I think it depends on your area. I’m quite surprised people are saying it’s standard as I’ve had about 7 interviews ( PRE-covid) and 6 of the 7 were half day affairs or shorter (20 minute lesson than about 30-40 minute interview). My interviews were in two different parts of the country too, West Yorkshire and Warwickshire, so no clue why I seem to get much more half day interviews? Best of luck with your interviews, it’ll probably take a few tries but I’m sure you’ll find something Smile

Agree this has always been my experience in primaries in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. That's over the past 10 years. If I couldn't do a pre-application walk round I'd always try and speak to the head on the phone. An old head I had wouldn't interview anyone unless they had looked round or had given a reason why they couldn't.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.