Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone moved from school to a university role?

Staffroomdoughnut · 12/05/2021 08:46

I think I’d like to work in a university Education department- lecturing / mentoring etc. I’ve been in Primary Education for about 20 years. Anybody managed to make this move? How was it?

Do you work in the students’ holidays? Is this on site or at home?

How do the hours compare to school teaching?

Is the pension completely different?

How do you find teaching adults?

Any insights would be useful. Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

worstofbothworlds · 12/05/2021 14:23

I'm a lecturer but didn't move from education but I can answer a few of these questions, though you might be better off asking them in the Academic Common Room.
When I've worked at universities that have an Education department, the lecturers have all had or been working towards a PhD, and my impression is that some of the lectures are in school term time (e.g. they do a term of lectures and a term of placement but not school placement plus lectures in half term).
The hours are I think more comparable to a regular office job though of course I do sometimes spend my weekends marking, it's rare to have to come in at 8 to prep.

The pension is somewhat comparable and I believe you can transfer between them but don't quote me on that.

I have, in a former life, taught secondary age children and in some ways it's quite similar (especially getting them to stop gossiping and get on with group work). Some of them have such poor English I despair and even Maths (I'm STEM) but there are of course new challenges especially in academic tutor work.

Please
or

Staffroomdoughnut · 12/05/2021 15:42

@worstofbothworlds
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn’t know there was an Academic Common Room so that was helpful too. The job advert doesn’t specify a PhD but I might ask as that’d be a problem.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.