Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

1 year contract for NQT/ECT

MissPrimaryCrafts · 23/04/2021 18:17

I've read on here before that it's not uncommon for schools to advertise for a 1 year fixed term contract even if they intend to hire permanently, so it's like probation year and if they like you they will give you a permanent contract after the first year

However I'm finishing my PGCE so in September I'll start the new Early Career Teacher framework which extends the NQT time to 2 years. What do you think about applying for 1 year fixed term jobs when I know I'll need 2 years of support? Most jobs near me are doing that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

wineandsunshine · 23/04/2021 20:39

My school only offer fixed term for the first three years!

I am currently in my NQT year and stressing over September, so it's horrible for staff morale!

Please
or

Scarby9 · 23/04/2021 22:07

So many schools only offer a 1 year contract initially at least.
I am on my 5th year of 1 year contracts, all in the same job in the same school! I know have just as many rights as anyone on a longer contract, so I don't know why I am still on that contract - I threaten to walk out every year which would leave them considerably in the lurch...
Anyway, ECF wise, you can access the two years of support across more than one school, in the same way an NQT could do their year across three schools, doing a term in each.

Please
or

StayingHere · 24/04/2021 03:37

It's really common unfortunately. I was lucky back when I trained that I was offered a permanent role but many many of my training colleagues took 1 year contracts in the first instance. It's an easy way for them to move an NQT on without breaking any rules, but it's a very uncertain thing for the teachers and it's a shame so many schools do it.
In terms of your ECT, I'm in the business of being a professional tutor so I've been involved in a lot of discussions on this. You can move schools after your first year; whichever school you go to next is obliged to provide the second year of support with the 5% timetable remission and the mentor. Schools will know this so if they appoint someone who is only 1 year into their ECT they should provide the support to allow you to finish.
What are you teaching? (ie is it competitive?). If you are something like secondary maths or science then I would hold out for a permanent contract - remember the resignation deadline hasn't even passed yet there is still a lot of jobs coming. If something more competitive like primary in certain areas of the country then maybe consider a one year contract, but for your own peace of mind a permanent is obviously preferable.

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 24/04/2021 07:33

In terms of the ECF, you can move schools and just continue. NQTs up to now could complete part of the year in one school and part in another. Many did and it worked fine.

It does irritate me that schools use fixed term contracts to essentially try people out and have a convenient way of getting rid of them at the end of the year. Fixed term should really only be used for things like maternity cover or when numbers/funding are uncertain.

I have an NQT this year and he has been on a permanent contract since day 1.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.