Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

New placement woes

fluffyslipper1 · 08/03/2021 18:02

I'm just wondering about some things. We weren't allowed to go in during lockdown as the school had a policy against trainees coming in.

However the last 3 weeks since half term we were told we need to step up and come in. So I have. Although I did offer before and was told no.

So I've been in and these last few weeks have felt weird, I don't feel like I'm part of their team at all really. I'm just a bit focused from them.

There was one other trainee but she dropped out so I'm just a bit alone in sharing the experience with someone too. It would be nice if I could have a companion again.

I just really feel the divide, I just feel kind of ignored. Yes I could talk to them but there's not much to talk about because all their convos are about organising lessons, taking about students they have in common, and lots of other things they have in common.

I thought I could email my university and tell them. But they just sort of said get on with it...

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 08/03/2021 20:24

What should you be doing? Observing? Planning? Team teaching?

Please
or

fluffyslipper1 · 08/03/2021 20:30

@MrsHamlet

What should you be doing? Observing? Planning? Team teaching?

I was saying I don't feel part of it. It feels like trainee vs staff
OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 08/03/2021 20:34

I get that. But you want to feel part of "it"... what is it?
When I was a trainee, we had a table in the staffroom and woe betide us if we raised our heads above the parapet! I certainly don't expect that of my trainees but I'm not clear what you think should be happening.

Please
or

fluffyslipper1 · 08/03/2021 20:44

@MrsHamlet

I get that. But you want to feel part of "it"... what is it?
When I was a trainee, we had a table in the staffroom and woe betide us if we raised our heads above the parapet! I certainly don't expect that of my trainees but I'm not clear what you think should be happening.

Okay that's fair. I don't start putting my 10 pence in or anything. I'm just saying it normal to be a bit excluded from the teachers and be an us v them kind of thing. I'm the only trainee as one just dropped out so its hard not having a support group.
OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 08/03/2021 20:50

It depends on a lot of things. Normally my trainees would be based in the dept from their first day, but would have a second mentor in another dept so they'd generally be part of things.
Are you primary or secondary? Which placement is this?

Please
or

fluffyslipper1 · 08/03/2021 21:00

@MrsHamlet

It depends on a lot of things. Normally my trainees would be based in the dept from their first day, but would have a second mentor in another dept so they'd generally be part of things.
Are you primary or secondary? Which placement is this?

I'm secondary. So we don't really move around. We're fixed in one dept all day.
OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 08/03/2021 21:10

Do you have a form group?

Please
or

fluffyslipper1 · 08/03/2021 21:19

@MrsHamlet

Do you have a form group?

Not yet I will in 3 weeks
OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 08/03/2021 21:38

Then your year group team is another opportunity. Get involved in the year group - find out what you're doing in form; ask advice; ask to observe other colleagues.
Things are manic at the moment - I was really cross about not having trainees this year but I don't have the capacity to support them - so you'll have to try to get yourself involved rather than hoping they'll involve you.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.