Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Pandemic job hunting

Talkthattalk · 10/02/2021 17:03

Hi all,

Long time lurker but first time poster.

I flip back and forth but feel I have really had enough of my current school. Some of my colleagues in and out of my department are lovely but the initiatives can be so pointless and time consuming. Lots of teachers are stressed and over worked.

I’d really like to move. I’m not desperate as colleagues are lovely and are keeping me afloat but I do come home quite down most days.
Anyone had any success with job hunting this year or have any words of advice to get through work when it’s a bit depressing?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Penyu · 10/02/2021 20:55

I have! Lots of jobs out now for September. In some ways it's a good time for job hunting because you can't do in person interviews and no teaching demo lesson...
Which makes it all a much easier process.
If you're brave enough to go for it during a pandemic I think there will be some good opportunities to be had.
Carpe Diem!

Please
or

Talkthattalk · 10/02/2021 21:41

Thank you @Penyu that’s really encouraging. I’ve had a look and there are lots of jobs in my subject coming up but none in my area so may just have to hold on a bit longer and keep the hope going.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ploughingthrough · 11/02/2021 08:48

I'm undertaking my first interview of the pandemic. Got shortlisted and had to submit a lesson plan. If I get through this bit I then have to deliver an adapted version of my lesson plan to some key worker kids via google meet. Can't think of anything more weird than delivering to 20-odd black boxes with their microphones off who don't know me from Adam! But it's all an experience. If I get to that bit I'll let you know how it goes...

Please
or

Talkthattalk · 11/02/2021 10:08

Thanks @Ploughingthrough that’s good to know. Good luck! I hope the interview goes brilliantly.

Do you mind if I ask roughly how long you’ve been teaching for. I’ll be starting my 6th year in Sept and I’m starting to worry I’m getting to the point of being too expensive and that NQTs will be preferred.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ploughingthrough · 11/02/2021 11:00

@Talkthattalk I am in my 11th year of teaching! I share your fears about being expensive, especially as I am applying to step down from HoD to a line teacher too, but I figure that there are schools out there that value experience and confidence too. You just got to find them....

Please
or

Lau7 · 15/02/2021 20:13

Following as currently job hunting too! Wondering if all schools are recruiting online at the moment? Would obviously much rather teach a demo lesson face to face. Not sure if it varies between schools 🤔

Please
or

Talkthattalk · 15/02/2021 21:50

Welcome to the club! Smile I’m not really sure what schools are doing at the moment interview wise. One advert I looked into said they would set a teaching and learning task in place of a taught lesson.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lau7 · 16/02/2021 08:15

Thanks! No I’m not sure either. I’m looking around a school after half term (which I didn’t think would be allowed but the Head is showing me around once the children have gone home for the day). A teaching and learning task sounds interesting wonder what it would be?!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.