Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Going back feels different this time... worse

Sittinbythetree · 02/01/2021 08:55

A rant!

I was thrilled to be back in September, rates were low and we could keep the doors/windows open etc.

But this time - rates are so high and it feels so odd to have been avoiding people over Christmas and then back into the classroom with no protection. Watching tv when they’ve got screens between people on panel shows and we’ve got... nothing. It really feels like teachers are just being expected to accept something that no one else is being asked to do - with no thanks or acknowledgment. It’s going to be so cold with the windows open. The thought of remote teaching from an empty classroom, urgh. Starting new topics online, argh. We’ve been told we have to do a video call every lesson and full marking feedback. I wouldn’t normally take books in after the first lesson in a series of lessons - we seem to be expected to do more than normal! It takes so long to plan the remote lessons, and then give feedback. I can’t imagine how I’m going to do it. And we’ve got f inset where we are going to waste a day listening to people repeating the latest fad from people they follow on Twitter.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 02/01/2021 09:15

It does feel different this time. I am fortunate that my school aren't expecting the same level of feedback. We are teaching all lessons online though in usual classrooms as vulnerable/KW children will be in.

I don't know how many we'll get though because during the last full lockdown, we had about 60 entitled to places and most days only got a handful- up to 5! This is secondary though, primary may be different.

Dreading still having the windows open as I feel the coldSad No INSET for us so straight into it on Monday. I am looking forward to seeing my colleagues though and glad I can still meet my NQT in person so that he gets proper support.

Please
or

SarahLou67 · 02/01/2021 09:17

The cold is going to be a real problem. Temperatures of -3C expected next week. But if I’m back I will have windows and doors open. It is your only protection! Kids will need to keep coats on. Will the HT force us to shut them? If he does I will take this up with the Union and may have to declare to feeling unsafe. Kids must go out of the room every hour and let the air circulate. Heating costs to schools will go through the roof.

I am truly terrified this time. Up until now I’ve felt ok. We have had no known cases and no bubble closures. This time it is different. Look at the graphs for September and look now. At the very least we should be back to 15 in a class and rota kids in and out. Of course we should be shut really.

I’m not convinced the DfE can handle more u-turns and would rather people die than lose more face. Grim indeed. Local authorities in Tier 4 should be pressurising Government also. All Labour seem to be doing is saying how the timing is awful as it’s confusing parents! They should be shouting for closure in all Tier 4 schools !!! Once again politicians are only saying what they think voters want to hear. Labour should be strongly supporting teacher unions. I’m so disappointed in them.

Please
or

TheLuckiest · 02/01/2021 11:35

I know exactly what you mean. It definitely feels more grim than last time. But that could be because this time, we have several sick staff members and I've just recovered from COVID myself. Sad

I've got no idea how we're going to set this all up in a matter of hours really. INSET on Mon so we have a little bit more time but can't imagine how stressed schools with children due in on Mon are. Just sorting out parents who needed KW spaces took a few days last time. We're primary BTW.

And the other difference is that last time, KW children from different year groups shared classrooms. Can't do that now as it would be mixing bubbles. I'd imagine all TAs will be in school looking after them while teachers teach online.

But it's preferable to the alternative I suppose. The worst thing would be if we're all back as 'normal' come Tuesday. That would be an act of madness IMO.

Please
or

TheLuckiest · 02/01/2021 11:36

NAHT have just launched a legal challenge against the DfE. Shock

I'd imagine that might get things moving more effectively than another long-winded letter from NEU

Please
or

Bluewavescrashing · 02/01/2021 11:57

I'm in an infant school and I don't know what to root for now. My class need me in front of them, not behind a screen. But we're a very large school and I feel anxious about being in class. My own kids hated home schooling in the spring. Would I be entitled to key worker places if we close? Yes probably but should they go in? DH works from home but goes on conference calls quite regularly through the day. He can't teach for toffee. Argh too much to panic about.

Please
or

SarahLou67 · 02/01/2021 12:18

NEU, if you are a member, having emergency webinar tomorrow. Check your email as you need the link to register. Good news about NAHT. If heads don’t take a stand on matters like this what will they take a stand on.

I’m all for kids in school but this is not like September.

Please
or

Bluewavescrashing · 02/01/2021 12:20

Have to admit I'm not in a union. I was support staff until October (taking a break from teaching) and didn't get round to rejoining.

Please
or

Sittinbythetree · 02/01/2021 12:23

It does sound like the unions are starting to get organised. It’s horrible- desperately don’t want to remote teach and want my own kids in school - but it just doesn’t seem safe. I also can’t work out if the testing for all staff and kids is a one off or is going to be repeated. And how accurate are the tests they are using!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ItsIgginningtolookalotlikeXmas · 02/01/2021 12:35

Bluewaves you can join one almost instantly, online. I would never recommend anyone teaches without being part of a union. You can't join once you are in the middle of an issue, eg a false claim being made against you.

Please
or

SarahLou67 · 02/01/2021 12:48

I echo that. Always be in a Union if you work in Education.

Please
or

Serena1977 · 02/01/2021 17:16

I'm scared so much about Monday and our school closed windows and doors because some parents complained their children were too cold.

Please
or

hedgehogger1 · 02/01/2021 19:28

@Bluewavescrashing

Have to admit I'm not in a union. I was support staff until October (taking a break from teaching) and didn't get round to rejoining.

You really need to be in one! For legal support in the event of a false accusation if nothing else. Do it now. If you're nqt you might be able to got free
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.