Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Demand for Chemistry teachers in Scotland?

toomuchtooold · 30/11/2020 16:35

I'm planning to move back to Scotland after a career break and I'm thinking about going into teaching. A mate of mine who used to teach physics in Glasgow has fully primed me with all the bad news regarding long hours, but he also said that when he started it was normal to expect to do supply teaching for a couple of years before landing a permanent job. I just wanted to ask if there are any Scottish chemistry teachers on here, is that how things are, now, and for chemistry teachers? (It's not necessarily a dealbreaker for me if it is just a matter of waiting for a job to come up, but if it's a reflection of supply outstripping demand it would make life difficult, as I really need to be able to train and then live in Glasgow, and part of my reason for wanting to go into teaching was my perception that there is demand for chemistry teachers - I worked as a chemist in pharma before, and I'm sick of having to chase all over the world looking for jobs).
And while I'm at it, do you have any advice for me, anything you'd have wanted to know when you started?

OP's posts:
Please
or

christmascheering · 30/11/2020 17:40

There are definitely jobs available. I take it you know a probationary post is guaranteed. After that year, I'd be surprised if a science teacher didn't get a full time post very quickly.

Are you RC? That could really help you if you had your Catholic cert.

Glasgow city schools can be difficult to work in due to the effects of poverty but the council has some really good initiatives running, additional funding for schools in areas of deprivation is making an impact and the council is a good employer (imo). Most of our probationers in the last 4/5 years have all been offered permanent contracts. If you have strong behaviour management it's a great option.

Glasgow is also a good base because you are in easy reach of a lot of different councils, even if you are having to rely on public transport. Some of these are slightly less likely to offer new starts permanent posts. The suburbs also tends to have different pressures than the city, understandably.

Please
or

toomuchtooold · 30/11/2020 17:49

Thanks christmascheering, that's very helpful to know. Sadly no I am not RC, so that rules out a lot of schools, but on the other hand I went to a school in a deprived area (in Clydebank) and I would be quite motivated to work in that sort of school, assuming I'm any good at it!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.