Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Back to work dilemma

Icytundra · 24/11/2020 10:07

Hi everyone,
I'm currently in maternity leave and really feeling for you all and how hard it must be in school.
I'm a secondary teacher. Going back to work February half term after my second maternity leave. Initial plan was to go PT (3 or 4 days)

Since then my husbands academic job has been put under threat of redundancy. Whilst we think he'll now be safe, this is the second year in a row this has happened, so long term we're not confident.

Oldest is starting primary in September. Currently does 3 days at preschool but until 2nd was born/ lockdown she was FT.

I cannot decide if I should go PT or FT. If DH were to be made redundant mid-year we'd probably be screwed. He can do some school run etc as he WFH at least one day a week and is in work fewer weeks of the year, but it might not be necessary. We

Feels a bit like I'm playing Russian roulette and I have no idea what to do!

Any insights/ thoughts? If be grateful to hear some shared experiences

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hercwasonaroll · 24/11/2020 19:33

Why not go back FT until summer and then evaluate?

It'll be tough but worth it if your dhs job does go.

Please
or

eggofmantumbi · 24/11/2020 20:57

That was my instinct too!

Please
or

Hercwasonaroll · 24/11/2020 21:18

Plus if you go back FT you'll be paid FT until the end of August. Worth a term and a half of pain for 6 weeks full pay.

Please
or

eggofmantumbi · 25/11/2020 11:46

I hadn't even thought of that! Baby brain

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 28/11/2020 08:42

I would go back full time initially. You can always request p/t from September if things look better with DHs job and you want to be p/t.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.