Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Move up the pay scale declined

Doordine · 20/11/2020 18:02

Hello, not sure if anyone has any experience of this who can help.

I started at my school in September 2017 on UPS1. I applied in September this year to go up to UPS2. I had a letter today saying the application has been unsuccessful - I have a meeting with the Head to explain why but not for another 2 weeks.

I have gone over NEU guidance and my school's pay policy and I can't understand why. I demonstrated in my application my contribution to the wider school (mentoring an NQT, being part of a behaviour working group, part of the marking QA team and contributing to best practice seminars. All of these things are voluntary and unpaid).

I have 3 successful appraisal cycles behind me where it is in writing that I meet all Teaching Standards. My last 3 lesson observations have not returned any targets - just told lessons are outstanding. Results from my first year reflect this - during my second year I had no results as I was on maternity leave and this year was CAGs which were still good but we were told CAGs won't be considered in pay decisions: it is done on line manager recommendation following review of appraisal targets. My LM recommendation is I go up to UPS2.

What could the reason possibly be?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Doordine · 20/11/2020 18:05

Would appreciate any advice from a union perspective too - is it really just down to the Head's judgement? Do they need a solid reason or can they just say no and give a wooly answer? I'm meeting with our union rep but again not for another week.

OP's posts:
Please
or

reefedsail · 20/11/2020 18:07

I would think they will say not enough evidence due to mat leave followed by lockdown. However, the real reason will be no money in the coffers to be paying for classroom teachers on UPS.

Please
or

Doordine · 20/11/2020 18:19

Thank you for replying.

The thing is, if there isn't enough money, why invite us to apply? A blanket "no movement up pay scales this year due to funding" would be so much easier to swallow.

Perhaps you're right though, particularly about what reason he will give. But are those legal reasons? NEU states the process should be unaffected by mat leave and lockdown was out of my control.

The school pay policy says I need 2 successful appraisals and I have those even if you take out my 9 months on mat leave. No documents I've seen outline how much evidence I should provide and so surely it would be difficult to argue I haven't provided enough (there's quite a lot to be fair).

I don't know if it is worth appealing.

OP's posts:
Please
or

sakura06 · 20/11/2020 20:43

It sounds like it's worth appealing. I had a similar experience, although I didn't appeal but rather chose to leave. Much, much happier since then though!

Please
or

Hercwasonaroll · 20/11/2020 22:04

Have a quiet word and see if it is the funding. Still worth appealing if it is.

Maternity usually works in your favour as they cannot discriminate against you for being off. Therefore they can't link pay progression to stuff that happened when you were on maternity.

Ultimately up to the governors.

Please
or

Doordine · 21/11/2020 06:00

@sakura06
Leaving has crossed my mind too. I could do without the upheaval but I don't suppose I have much choice really, I'm not willing to stay on UPS1 forever and I'm not sure what more I can possibly do there to prove I'm worthy of more.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Doordine · 21/11/2020 06:04

@Hercwasonaroll thanks, preparing my appeal next week ready for meeting. I wonder how successful appeals generally are.

When you say it is up to the governers, can they just say no with no real basis? Is that allowed/legal?

OP's posts:
Please
or

sakura06 · 21/11/2020 08:31

In my case, I was quite unhappy anyway, so perhaps think carefully about it. It did definitely spur me on though as I felt my contribution wasn't valued.

Please
or

Hercwasonaroll · 21/11/2020 10:16

They can say no if they can't afford it and will find a reason to cover their arses.

Please
or

Timeturnerplease · 23/11/2020 07:34

It’ll be no money. I’ve been on M6 for a few years. Am ESL, Deputy DSL, lead moderator, mentor all NQTs and students that come into school and a variety of other unpaid tasks. As a one form entry village primary there is literally no money, so I haven’t even applied.

Please
or

echt · 23/11/2020 09:21

What is not acceptable is their not saying why now. No need for a meeting for this (though insist on one later) as they have applied their criteria.

They are playing you.

Here you go: Dear knobend, Thank you for your letter of XXX. I have taken advice and require the reasons for your decision by (give them 24 hours).

Don't say whose advice.
Don't apologise. Don't explain.

Seriously, do this.

Please
or

echt · 23/11/2020 09:24

And take friend into the meeting when you eventually have it.

Please
or

Doordine · 23/11/2020 10:49

Thank you all.

While it could be money, I don't understand why we were invited to apply in the first place then. I would have totally accepted this if they had said this before I went to the trouble of gathering evidence.

The meeting will be very interesting and yes I am frustrated I have to wait.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DanceM1 · 23/11/2020 17:39

I'm pretty sure I've been told by a headteacher that schools are not allowed to refuse a pay rise because of their budget? That it has to be because of you and your targets etc. They cannot be allowed to use the fact you've been on mat leave either. I would contact a union. Could you not ask for reasons in writing before your meeting so you can be prepared for it?

Please
or

Doordine · 23/11/2020 17:59

Yes that's a good idea actually. I have gone through the pay policy and my appraisals and I just can't see it. Spoke to my line manager (HoD) today and she is as baffled as me. Also spoke to my friend who is an Assistant Head and she didn't get it either. I'm preparing my appeal regardless of the meeting.

The meeting is on Monday (30th) and I will update here if anyone is interested!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Redlocks30 · 23/11/2020 18:07

It’ll be money. I expect you may well find it difficult to move schools and remain on ups1 as well, let alone go up to ups2.

It’s really really shit in schools at the moment.

Will be very interested in your update-good luck.

Please
or

cdtaylornats · 23/11/2020 22:40

Pay scales - how very 1980s Civil Service.

Please
or

rawlikesushi · 30/11/2020 21:12

Any news op?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.