Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are there actually jobs for primary school teachers?

Funkypolar · 20/10/2020 13:35

I keep reading online that primary jobs have a 100 applicants and that qualified teachers are working as TAs.

OP's posts:
Please
or

colourofblue · 20/10/2020 13:39

I think it’s highly dependent on where you are. It’s probably true for some parts of rural wales, certainly, but I’ve been reading that since I did my PGCE in 2003. None of my friends have failed to get jobs.

Please
or

colourofblue · 20/10/2020 13:41

It also depends where online you’ve read that. Do bear in mind there are some out there with a dog in the race who charge a great deal of money for courses designed to help you get that perfect teaching job, won’t you? Wink

Please
or

toomuchicecream · 20/10/2020 15:59

Agree - it depends where in the country. Round her anyone with a pulse and a teaching qualification can take their pick of where they want to work.

Please
or

Funkypolar · 20/10/2020 16:58

Thanks. I’ve been accepted onto a PGCE but was a bit worried there won’t be any jobs!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Scarby9 · 20/10/2020 21:30

The primary jobs market is very area-dependent.
I have had trainees tell me they want a job in their preferred yeargroup in their preferred size of school within half an hour's drive from home. That may be possible if you live in London or another large metropolis - less practical if you are in a small, popular town.
The more flexible you can be when looking for your first post, the better.
I know you have already accepted an offer on a PGCE course, OP, but I recommend potential trainees ask any ITT provider what percentage of the previous year's cohort of trainees had secured teaching posts by the start of September.

Please
or

Lancrelady80 · 21/10/2020 00:38

The TA thing can be a bit misleading...a number of teachers working as TAs choose to do so for work life balance, not simply because there aren't the jobs.

Please
or

sortedsortof · 22/10/2020 10:05

Think it’s pretty awful. Treats children like pets. Rewards, although always well intentioned, have been shown to reduce internal motivation.

Please
or

sortedsortof · 22/10/2020 11:44

Apologies meant to post on dojo thread!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.