Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I think that my year group lead may have an issue with me.

MissMissICantDoThis · 10/10/2020 09:17

I am an NQT in a large primary school. My mentor is in another year group. I see her every two weeks.

My year group lead seems lovely but there are quite a few things that have happened which have left me feeling upset and confused and I am beginning to think that there is a problem.

She keeps telling me that I have to do things a certain way which I then do. When she is told otherwise, she sends an email to me and SLT to tell me that I need to step up.

I went to her for advice on an issue in my classroom and she reported back to SLT that I was being unprofessional and I was hauled in by my mentor. It took me a while to realise that she was talking about this conversation but when I did I was dumb struck.

I accept that I need to be proactive to do things myself but I am often left feeling that details and updates are omitted on purpose.

I decided to talk to her about this. I thought that I was calm and reasonable but she then lost her temper and told me that I needed to step up and that I needed to be on the ball more. I was then pulled up again for being disrespectful.

She has worked for the school for 10 years and has close relationships with SLT.

I am 42 and miserable in the job. Any advice?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Augustbreeze · 10/10/2020 13:39

Isn't this sort of situation exactly what having a mentor is for?

Please
or

Nameandgamechange123 · 17/10/2020 10:19

The school has a duty to support you. This woman sounds awful. Keep your head down, get through the nqt year then change schools is my advice!

Please
or

reefedsail · 17/10/2020 12:49

Unfortunately some teachers seem hell bent on making life shit for other, usually newer, teachers. We really don't help ourselves.

Maybe ask for a meeting with both year group lead and mentor and ask why year group lead repeatedly raises these issues to SLT. Or ask for meeting with relevant member of SLT and explain your concerns to them?

Please
or

reefedsail · 17/10/2020 12:51

Ultimately, the only thing that makes teaching bearable is being in a school that is a perfect fit for you. If this isn't going to be it, I wouldn't think twice about looking for somewhere else.

Please
or

pooiepooie25 · 17/10/2020 13:17

She sounds like a complete cow. At my school, we go out of our way to help each other, no matter how long we have been teaching.

Please
or

MrsZola · 17/10/2020 13:26

I'd be asking your mentor to meet weekly, get them involved. If you have a good relationship with them and feel you can trust them, confide in them about your year group lead. It's your mentor's job to suport you and fight your corner.

Please
or

LolaSmiles · 17/10/2020 14:32

She sounds horrible. Sadly there's a few teachers who seem to like throwing their weight around to make themselves look better. The fact she tells you one thing and then when she's told otherwise starts telling SLT you're doing things wrong makes me think she isn't an effective leader and she's too willing to pass the buck to an NQT to cover her own failings.

You should really be meeting with your mentor weekly and it would let you sound things out.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for a new school. Life is too short to devote time and energy to a school where poor middle leaders are too cosy with SLT.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.