Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Teacher workload

QuestionableQuestions · 17/09/2020 09:48

elp please.
I just started a new job 3 weeks ago at a primary school. I been a teacher for 7 years. Already I cannot cope with the demands this school is putting on me and my time. I am crying every day, i cannot function, i feel sick, i am not eating or sleeping properly. I have asked questions and for help with their prescriptive planning programmes but ostensibly this school is too focussed on paperwork and software rather than teaching and I have no support in using any of the software, systems or planning programmes that they use. I have been misled as at the interview I asked the right questions in that i didn;t want to be at a school with an elaborate 3 colour marking system, and that work-life balance was very important to me..it is a new head but he was at the interview and knew all the changes he was going to implement - elaborate marking/planning inspections/planning already done (sold to me as such) but then we are told to tweak them and put them into a folder (tweak is an understatement as they were written an designed for a cohort in a leafy suburb etc add these to an over reliance of logging all behavioural incidents in the day, on a system i don;t really know how to use with a class that is so behaviourally disruptive (at least 15 incidents per lesson) it pushed the last teacher to leave as she couldn;t cope. had they given me honest answers i would have left the job for someone else.I have a doctors appoitnment for next week as i cannot go on. I am exhausted and can;t focus. I am crying as i wake up. fighting back tears in the classroom and yet more and more things are being added. Can you please let me know what conversations I need to have with the school as It is likely I will be signed off sick.

OP's posts:
Please
or

monkeysox · 17/09/2020 12:26

Flowers that's shit. You're not on your own

Please
or

Hercwasonaroll · 17/09/2020 17:50

That's shit.
Have you got a union rep in school? Are you in a union? If not join ASAP.

Prioritise what you think needs tackling the most. Which one thing will make the biggest difference. Eg a decent behaviour follow up would make the rest manageable? Or less planning? What would happen if you didn't do those things?

Please
or

Popfan · 18/09/2020 17:14

Have you spoken to the head or deputy about how you feel? If they don't know they can't help. You need to say that you are feeling overwhelmed and need some support. It sounds like you have a difficult class. Have you had any support with them?

Please
or

ohthegoats · 18/09/2020 17:34

It's only a few weeks in - I started at a new school last September, after 6 years at my previous school. It took the whole of the first term to settle in, work out where I could cut corners/save time etc. After October things were very different. I remember my partner telling me at the end of September that it wasn't sustainable.

It is now though.

Please
or

CraftyGin · 18/09/2020 17:58

I'm sorry, but I can't follow your post.

You have said everything that is negative about the school, but what is positive?

You are an experienced teacher, so should be able to input into expectations.

Is Covid putting extra demands on you, that were not evident at the interview?

I think you need to pick and choose which battles to fight.

Please
or

sakura06 · 18/09/2020 20:32

Sorry to hear you're under so much pressure. Can you talk to your union?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.